Carla Nye, DNP, RN, CPNP-PC, CNEDirector, Clinical Learning Center
Clinical Associate Professor
1100 East Leigh St., Room 2001A
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I am honored to teach the Ethics course in the master’s program and the Evidence Based Practice Course in the DNP Program. I also speak on motivational interviewing and the needs of Military families. In the past I have been the lead faculty for undergraduate pediatrics. I teach students throughout the undergraduate and graduate program in the simulation arena. My primary focus is all things pediatrics, therapeutic communication in psych-mental health, and end-of-life simulations.
My interests and expertise are in simulation, communication, and developing positive learning environments. I have studied parent stress in the NICU, academic environmental needs of undergraduate nursing students, developing communication skills in undergraduate nursing students. I am also keenly interested in the use of simulation in Nurse Practitioner programs.
I serve on the School of Nursing Master’s Program Committee, and am the co-Chair of the Nominations Committee. I am a member of the Sigma Theta Tau, the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, The Virginia State Simulation Alliance, The International Association of Clinical Simulation & Learning, and the Society for Simulation in Healthcare. I was recently on the task force that developed the new Doctorate of Nursing Practice Program (DNP).
- BSN - University of Delaware, Newark, DE
- MN - University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- DNP - University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
- PNP - University of South Florida, Tampa FL
- Leadership Development Program for Simulation Educators, National League for Nursing, 2015
- Commander’s Award for Public Service, Army War College, Carlisle PA, 2009
- 4th Annual Excellence in Writing Award, Neonatal Network, 2007
- Most Supportive Educator Award, University of South Florida, 2006
- Most Inspirational Educator Award, University of South Florida, 2005
- Most Inspirational Educator Award, University of South Florida, 2004
- Ted and Mary Couch Dean’s Award of Faculty Excellence, 2004
- Spirit of Nursing Award, University of South Florida, 2003
- Most Inspirational Educator Award, University of South Florida, 2003
- Co-PI, Enhancing Communication Skills in Undergraduate Nursing Students using Standardized Patient Actors. Virginia Commonwealth University, Clinical Scholars Program, August 2015-August 2016.
- PI, Student Perception of Faculty Teaching and Program Satisfaction, University of North Carolina – Wilmington, J. Richard Corbitt Grant, January 2008-May 2009.
- Rutherford-Hemming, T., Nye, C. & Coram, C. (2015). Using simulation for clinical practice hours in nurse practitioner education in the United States: A systematic review. Nurse Education Today. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.11.006
- Nye, C., Keller, B., & Wrenn, S. (2013). Developing communication skills and knowledge of veteran issues through a PTSD Simulation. Nurse Leader.
- Nye, C. (2008). Transitioning premature infants from gavage to breast. Neonatal Network, 27(1). [R] PMID:18232586
- Nye, C. & Lawrence, E. (2001). Building a NICU: One Step at a Time. Central Lines, 17(3).
- Nye, C., Beaird, G. & Lindner, S. (2015, August): 10 Minute Assessment: An Organizational Tool to Promote Quality and Safety Behaviors in Students. Podium Presentation at the Virginia Simulation State Simulation Alliance Conference, Virginia Beach, VA.
- Beaird, G & Nye, C. (2014, August). Enhancing Undergraduate Nursing Women’s Health Clinical through Interdisciplinary Simulation. Podium presentation at the Virginia Simulation State Simulation Alliance Conference. Lynchburg, VA. August 6-7.
- Nye, C. & Shockey, D. (2014, June). Simulation as a Tool to Prepare Pediatric NP Students for their First Clinical Experience. Podium presentation at the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation Conference, Orlando, FL. June 19-21.
- Nye, C. (2013, June). Caring for the Entire Veteran Family. Podium presentation at the Nurses Organization of Veterans Affairs, San Francisco, CA. June 16-20.
- Keller, E. & Nye, C. (2013, February). Ethics Most Wanted. Podium presentation at James A. Haley Veterans Administration Hospital Quarterly Ethics Conference, Tampa, FL
- Nye, C. (2013, February). The Military Family. Podium presentation at the University of South Florida Nurse Practitioner Military Seminar, Tampa, FL
- Nye, C., Rashka, L., Rossiter, A., & Schinka, G. (2012, November). Meeting the Challenge: Development of an Online Military and Veterans Health Course to Educate America’s Future Nurses to Care for our Nation’s Veterans. Podium presentation at the Joining Forces to Restore Lives Conference, Tampa, FL.
- Nye, C. & Sprehe, J. (2012, November). PTSD Simulation. Webinar presentation at the American Association of Medical Colleges Joining Forces Wellness Week. Tampa, FL.
- Nye, C. (2012, April). The Effect of Trauma on Kids and Their Families. Podium presentation at the James A. Haley Division of Psychology, Grand Rounds, Tampa, FL.
- Nye, C. & Livsey, K. (2010, June). What Students Want From Their Faculty. Podium presentation at Drexel Nursing Education Institute, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Rutherford-Hemming, T., Nye, C., & Corum, C. (2015, October). Using Simulation for Clinical Practice Hours in Nurse Practitioner Education: A Systematic Review; Poster Presentation at the NLN Technology Conference; Tampa, FL
- Keller, E., Nye, C., & Wrenn, S. (2012, November). Using a PTSD Simulation to Teach Communication to Undergraduate Students. Poster presentation at the Joining Forces to Restore Lives Conference, Tampa, FL.
- Keller, E., Nye, C., & Rueter, C. (2012, November). Teaching the Art of Nursing: Stories of Love, Patriotism, Faith, and Courage. Poster presentation at the Joining Forces to Restore Lives Conference, Tampa, FL.
- Nye, C., Wrenn, S., & Keller, B. (2011, July). Using Simulation to Develop Therapeutic Communication Skills. Poster Presentation at the 10Th Annual International Simulation/Learning Resource Center Conference, Orlando, FL.