Debra Barksdale, Ph.D., FNP-BC, CNE, FAANP, FAANProfessor and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
Nursing Alumni Endowed Professor
Phone: (804) 828-3224
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 4009B
- BSN – University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
- MSN – Howard University, Washington, D.C.
- Post-Master’s Certificate – University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- PhD – University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Nominee for Faculty Award for Excellence in Doctoral Mentoring. UNC Graduate School. University Level, 2015
- Doctoral Faculty Award for Excellence in Mentorship and Education. PhD Student Body, UNC Chapel Hill School of Nursing, 2015
- Featured as one of 100 Inspiring Nursing Professionals to Watch in 2014. http://onlinelpntorn.org/inspiring-nursing-professors/, 2014
- Honorary Alumna of the Year, UNC-Chapel Hill School of Nursing. Awarded for distinction in nursing profession and outstanding support to the School of Nursing., 2013
- Received the Laurel Archer Copp Award for Literary Achievement from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Nursing (October 11, 2012) for Barksdale, D. J., Woods-Giscombe, C., & Logan, J. (2012). Stress, cortisol, and night-time blood pressure dipping in non-hypertensive Black American women. Biological Research for Nursing. doi: 10.1177/1099800411433291, 2012
- Awarded Carrington Leave (faculty sabbatical), UNC-CH School of Nursing, 2012
- Featured in the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Human Capital Documentary profiling six remarkable grantees representing three key RWJF programs, all shining examples of RWJF’s support for "human capital.", 2012 http://www.rwjf.org/pr/product.jsp?id=73789
- Sole Honoree at the 3rd Annual Queen of Hearts Gala by Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and Delta Sigma Theta Foundation for work on cardiovascular disease in African Americans. Proceeds to benefit the American Heart Association (February 25, 2012), 2012
- Received the WCHL Village Pride Award, Honored as a Hometown Hero on February 23, 2012. http://www.chapelboro.com/pages/9737737.php, 2012
- Feature on the American Nurses Association website, 2012 http://nursingworld.org/EspeciallyForYou/Nurse-Researchers/Debra-J-Barksdale.html
- Recognized by the Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners for having the Top Cited Article in 2010. Co- authors Cessaly Chetham and Dr. Sheilda Rodgers, 2011
- Photo featured on the UNC Center for Faculty Excellence and Information Technology Services promotional materials for the Nov 2, 2012 conference showcasing innovative instructional practices at Carolina, 2011
- Letter of Appreciation in recognition of support and dedication to those in need from Senator Kay Hagan for volunteer service as a primary care provider at the Robert Nixon Clinics for the Homeless, 2011
- Certificate of Appreciation in Recognition of Extraordinary Performance and Achievement in the Mentoring and Teaching of Doctoral Students from the 2010-2011 Doctoral Student Body, UNC Chapel Hill School of Nursing, 2011
- Nominated for the Faculty Award for Excellence in Doctoral Mentoring at the University Level, 2011
- Featured on the website for the Center to Champion Nursing in American a part of their Health Care Leadership Series. The Center to Champion Nursing in America is an initiative of AARP, the AARP Foundation and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. http://campaignforaction.org/HC-leadership-barksdate, 2011
- Featured in Carolina Nursing, Winter 2011, Big Ideas Bring Big Results, 2011 http://carolinanursingenews.com/2011/01/son%E2%80%99s-barksdale-featured-on-unc-edu/
- Spotlight feature on the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill main homepage from December 18 to December 25, 2010, in a story entitled For Carolina nurse, big ideas bring big results. Research, Teaching, Mentoring, Practice, volunteer and leadership activities were highlighted. Also featured in the Durham News and Observer and the Durham Herald-Sun on December 28, 2010 and the January Edition of FYI Carolina, News for Alumni, Parents and Friends, 2010
- Certificate of Appreciation for Excellence in Doctoral Mentorship and Education. Recognized for Extraordinary Performance and Achievement in Mentoring and Teaching Doctoral students by the 2009-2010 Doctoral Student Body, UNC-Chapel Hill School of Nursing, 2010
- 2014 Co-Investigator. Arterial Stiffness in Children who Recently Completed Cancer Therapy. Funded by Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation Nurse Discovery Award (1/2/14-1/1/16)
- 2013 Submitted Consultant. R25 Proposal CER/PCOR Methods Training for Medical Product Development. PI. Daniel Mullins, PhD. University of Maryland. Priority Score 36. AHRQ. Council met April 2014. (NOT FUNDED)
- 2013 Submitted Co-Investigator. The Role of Daily Stress, Inflammatory Biomarkers and Affect Regulation in Male Coronary Heart Disease Disparities. PI: Wizdom Powell. School of Medicine Translational Team Science Award. (NOT FUNDED).
- 2012 Submitted Co-Investigator. Predicting Hypertension in Sub-groups in African American Women. R01 submitted in response to RFA-H-13-007 to the NIH, NHLBI project period December 1, 2012 to November 11, 2015 if awarded. PI: Shirley Timmons, Clemson University. (NOT FUNDED).
- 2012 Submitted Primary Investigator, Inter-Professional Education Models and Nurse Practitioners. Submitted to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: The Future of Nursing: Campaign for Action program on behalf of the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. (NOT FUNDED).
- 2010-2011 Co-Investigator and Mentor, Acculturative Stress, Quality of Sleep, Arterial Stiffness and Blood Pressure in Korean American Women. Project dates: 10/2010 to 10/2011. Visiting Scholar Research Project.
- 2009-2014 Co-Investigator. UNC Center for Health Promotion Disease Prevention Core Project: Seeds of Hope. Marci K. Campbell. Principal Investigator. National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Promotion (CDC). Project dates: 9/2009-9/2014.
- 2009-2011 Co-sponsor for Jeongok Logan. Arterial Stiffness and Chronic Psychological Stress in Korean Americans. Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award Individual Fellowship Application (NRSA). National Institutes of Health-National Institute of Nursing Research. Joanne Harrell, Sponsor. Project dates: 7/2009-6/2011.
- 2009-2012 Principal Investigator. Hypertension in Black Americans: Environment, Behavior and Biology. Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award (K23). National Institutes of Health-National Institute of Nursing Research. Total Cost: $341,172. Project dates: 4/2009-3/2012.
- Logan, J., Barksdale, D. J., James, S., Chien, L. (2015 online ahead of press). John Henryism active coping, acculturation, and psychological health in Korean immigrants. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. doi:10.1177/1043659615615402
- Lekavich, C., Barksdale, D. J., Neelon, V. & Wu, J. (2015) Heart failure preserved ejection fraction (HFPEF): An integrated and strategic review. Heart Failure Reviews. 20(6),643-653. Doi: 10.1007/s10741-015-9506-7e
- Davison, J. A., Price, M., Barksdale, D., Donahue, K. (online ahead of print). Hypertension Self-Management Support in Primary Care: A Quality Improvement Study. Athens Journal of Health. Athens Institute for Education and Research e-ISSN: 2241-8229
- Shah, D., Simms, K., Barksdale, D. J. & Wu, J. (2015). Improving medication adherence for patients with chronic heart failure: Challenges and solutions. Research Reports in Clinical Cardiology.6, 87-95. http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/RRCC.S50658. http://www.dovepress.com/articles.php?article_id=22622#
- Lekavich, C., & Barksdale, D. J. (2015). A critical evaluation of the representation of black patients with heart failure preserved ejection fraction in clinical trials: A Literature Review. The Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0000000000000237. PDF available at http://journals.lww.com/jcnjournal/Abstract/publishahead/A_Critical_Evaluation_of_the_Representation_of.99640.aspx
- Newhouse, R., Barksdale, D. J., & Miller, J. (2015). Research done differently: The patient centered outcomes research institute, Nursing Research. 64 (1), 72-7. doi: 10.1097/NNR.0000000000000070.
- Logan, J., Barksdale, D. J., Chien, L. (2014). Exploring moderating effects of John Henryism Active Coping on the relationship between education and cardiovascular measures in Korean Americans. Journal of Psychosomatic Research.77 (6). 552-557. doi:10.1016/j.jpsychores.2014.08.010
- Kolanowski, A.M., Barksdale, D. J. (2014). Keeping the older adult's voice central in research and practice. Journal of Gerontological Nursing. 40 (10). 3-4. doi: 10.3928/00989134-20140918-01
- Barksdale, D. J., Newhouse, R. & Miller, J. (2014). The Patient-centered outcomes research institute: Opportunities for academic nursing. Nursing Outlook. 62 (3), 192-200. doi:10.1016/j.outlook.2014.03.001 http://www.nursingoutlook.org/article/S0029-6554(14)00051-7/abstract
- Suh, M., Barksdale, D. J., Logan, J. (2014). Morning blood pressure surge and nighttime blood pressure in relation to nocturnal sleep pattern and arterial stiffness. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing.29 (2), 439- doi:10.1097/JCN.0b013e318291ee43
- Thompson, T. S., Barksdale, D. J., Sears, S., Mounsey, J. P., Pursell, I. & Gehi, A. K. (2014). The effect of anxiety and depression on symptoms attributed to atrial fibrillation. Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology. 37 (4), 439-446. doi: 10.1111/pace.12292
- Sample, D. A., Carroll, H. L., Barksdale, D. J. & Jessup, A. (2013). The pediatric obesity initiative: Development, implementation and evaluation. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 25 (9), 481-487. doi: 10.1111/1745-7599.12012
- Barksdale, D. J., Woods-Giscombe, C., & Logan, J. (2013). Stress, cortisol, and night-time blood pressure dipping in non-hypertensive Black American women. Biological Research for Nursing. 15 (3) 329-336. doi: 10.1177/1099800411433291
- Suh, M., Barksdale, D. J. & Logan. (2013). An exploratory study on relationships among stress, sleep and blood pressure dipping in Korean American. Clinical Nursing Research. 22 (1), 112-129. doi: 10.1177/1054773812455054
- Logan, J. & Barksdale, D. J. (2013). Pulse Wave Velocity in Korean American Men and Women. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 28 (1) 90-96. doi 10.1097/JCN.0b013e3182376685
- Abel, W. M. & Barksdale, D. J. (2012). Freedom of choice and adherence to health regimen in African Americans with hypertension. Advances in Nursing Science.35 (4,) E1-8. doi: 10.1097/ANS.0b013e31826b842f. Featured in the Editor’s Pick section in Nov. 2012. Also feature on the ANS Blog on Nov. 7, 2012. http://ansjournalblog.com
- Logan, J., Barksdale, D. J., Carlson, J., Carlson, B., & Rowsey, P. (2012). Psychological stress and arterial stiffness in Korean Americans. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 73 (1). 53-58. doi:10.1016/j.jpsychores.2012.04.008
- Barksdale, D. J., Woodley, L., Page, J. B., Bernheardt, J., Kowlowitz, V., & Oermann, M. H. (2011) Faculty Development: Doing More with Less. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing.(8).1-8. doi: 10.3928/00220124-20110301-01
Products of Interdisciplinary Scholarship
- InvitedMember (Jan 17-20, 2013); Josiah Macy, Jr. Foundation “Transforming Patient Care: Aligning Interprofessional Education with Clinical Practice Redesign” Resulting document http://macyfoundation.org/publications/publication/aligning-interprofessional-education
Products of Engaged Scholarship
Oversight and contribution as President of the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF):
- Titling of the Doctor of Nursing Practice Project 2013 http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.nonpf.org/resource/resmgr/dnp/dnpprojectstitlingpaperjune2.pdf?hhSearchTerms=%22DNP+and+project+and+title%22
- Sample Curriculum Templates for Doctorate of Nursing Practice 2013 http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.nonpf.org/resource/resmgr/imported/curriculumtemplates2013final.pdf?hhSearchTerms=%22dnp+and+templates%22
- Survey of Research Content in DNP programs: Results presented at 2013 NONPF Annual Meeting DNP Town Hall Session
- DNP Toolkit 2013 (commission and oversight) http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.nonpf.org/resource/resmgr/imported/dnpnptoolkitfinal2013.pdf?hhSearchTerms=%22dnp%22
- NP Independent Practice Paper http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.nonpf.org/resource/resmgr/Docs/IndepenPracPPRFinal2013.pdf?hhSearchTerms=%22independent+and+practice%22
- Organized, moderated and presented in two Webinars on the Criteria for Evaluation of Nurse Practitioner Programs. 10/2012 http://www.nonpf.org/?page=74&hhSearchTerms=%22BArksdale%22 and
- 01/2013 http://www.nonpf.org/?page=79&hhSearchTerms=%22BArksdale%22
- Special meeting Executive Summary http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/nonpf.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/Docs/Executive_SummaryNov2013.pdf
Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)
- Participated on the Subcommittee to Develop the PCORI Mission Statement
- Participant in the development of the following as a member of Board of Governors:
PCORI Strategic Plan http://www.pcori.org/assets/2013/11/PCORI-Board-Meeting-Strategic-Plan-111813.pdf
- Research Priorities http://www.pcori.org/assets/PCORI-National-Priorities-and-Research-Agenda-2012-05-21-FINAL1.pdf
- Chairs the Scientific Publication Subcommittee http://www.pcori.org/assets/Scientific-Publications-Subcommittee.pdf
- Chair of the Engagement Dissemination and Implementation Committee (EDIC) that produced the PCORI Patient and Family Engagement Rubric
- Contributed to the development of the Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Awards which fall under my committee (EDIC) http://www.pcori.org/funding-opportunities/eugene-washington-pcori-engagement-awards/
- Board Reviewer for the PCORI Methodology Report http://www.pcori.org/assets/2013/11/PCORI-Methodology-Report-Appendix-G.pdf
- Contributor and facilitator for the PCORI webinar for nurses http://www.pcori.org/events/exploring-pcori-highlighting-opportunities-for-nurses/
National League for Nursing
- Contributed to the NLN Vision Statement on Academic Progression
- Contributed via Think Tank to Transforming Research in Nursing Education
Invited Presentations: Regional, National, International
- Barksdale, D. J. (Scheduled 2016, February 26). Research Funding From PCORI. Presentation for at the Southern Nurses Research Society Annual Meeting. A Solid Legacy, a Bright Tomorrow: Bridging the Past and Future of Nursing Research. Williamsburg, VA.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2015, November 10). The evolution of nursing: Advancing health and wellness in non-traditional settings. Panelist. Paradigms in Nursing Leadership Conferences sponsored by the National League for Nursing and the Independence Blue Cross Foundation. Philadelphia, PA.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2015, November 9). Nurses on Boards: Opening Doors to Leadership. Preconference Panelist. Paradigms in Nursing Leadership Conferences sponsored by the National League for Nursing and the Independence Blue Cross Foundation. Philadelphia, PA.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2015, October 7). The Value of PCOR in the Real World (A crowd sources event (live and webcast) present at the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute Annual Meeting in Washington, DC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2015, July 21). Health care delivery system reform. Department of Health and Human Services Advisory Committee on Minority Health. Washington, D.C.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2015, July 7). Patient-Centered Research and Practice: Integrating Perspectives to Achieve Quality Outcomes. Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing, Emory University. Atlanta, Georgia.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2015, May 26). DNP implementation: Lessons learned. Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing in celebration of their DNP program approval. Richmond, VA.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2015, May 21). Patient-centered research and practice: Integrating perspectives to achieve quality outcomes. Annual Dean’s Lecture. Seattle University College of Nursing. Seattle, Washington.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2015, April 24). Diversity Dialogues. Strategies for facilitating leadership development among diverse faculty members. Presentation at the 41st Annual meeting of the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. Baltimore Maryland.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2015, March 5). Interdisciplinary models of health care transitions. National Institute of Nursing Research (NINR/NIH) Invitational Meeting at NIH campus Bethesda, MD.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2015, February 5-6). When values Conflict: Patient-centeredness in a paternalist health care system. University of Central Florida Nursing Leadership in Practice Keynote Lecture and Visiting Professorship. Orlando, Florida.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, December 4). Patient-Centered Care: If it was easy everyone would do it. Visiting Professor for closing of the 50th Anniversary Celebration. Penn State College of Nursing. University Park, PA.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, October 29). The power of policy: Getting involved. Presentation at the 2014 APRN Summit. The Role of APRNs: Bridging the gap in health care reform. Bon Secours Health System, Inc. Richmond, Virginia.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, October 21). Understanding the funding landscape. American Psychiatric Nurses Association Preconference. Building Connections: Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing Perspectives. Indianapolis, IN.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, August 5). Designs for improvement. 2014 Improvement Science Summit. Academic Center for Evidence-Based Practice, UT Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, June 7). Finding your voice for social change. Annual Diversity Impact Weekend. Frontier Nursing University, Hyden, KY.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, April 5), Current Issues and Moving to the NP Education of Tomorrow. Plenary Session. Presenter and Moderator. National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties Annual Meeting. Reaching New Heights in NP Education. Denver, Colorado.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, April 4). Diversity Dialogues. Facilitated discussion of the documentary The Waiting Room. National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties Annual Meeting. Reaching New Heights in NP Education. Denver, Colorado.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, April 1). Insights on PCORI. University of Colorado. Aurora Colorado.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, February 6). Keynote: 26th National Black Nurses Association Day on Capitol Hill. Nurses: Leading in an Era of Healthcare Reform. Washington, D.C.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, February 1). Keynote: The intersection of nursing doctorates and patient-centered outcomes research: The possibilities are endless. AACN Doctoral Education Conference 2014. Naples, Fl.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2013, April 30). PCORI Funding Opportunities and More. Webinar: What Funders Look for in a Successful Proposal. National Hartford Centers of Gerontological Nursing Excellence.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2013, April 15-16). National DNP Summit: National Dialogue on Quality and Excellence in DNP Education. Facilitated 3 Breakout sessions on DNP Essentials IV and VII and the DNP Final Scholarly Projects. Chicago, Illinois.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2013, April 14). DNP Town Hall Meeting. Facilitated plenary session addressing DNP Curricular Templates, DNP Core Competencies Toolkit, Independent Practice paper, Research Integration in DNP Curriculum and DNP Project Titles. 39th Annual Meeting. National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. Pittsburg, Pa.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2013, March 21). How can PCORI close the gaps among research, practice, and policy? Plenary Session. 2013 Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholars Leadership Training Meeting. National Academy of Sciences. Washington, D.C.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2013, March 10). PCORI Funding Opportunities. Midwest Nursing Research Society 2013 Annual Conference. Chicago, Illinois.
- Barksdale, D. J., Frantz, R., Miller, K., Udis, K., & Yucha, C. (2013, January 24). Interactive forum on transition to DNP. Doctoral Education Conference. American Association of Colleges of Nursing. San Diego, CA.
- Barksdale, D. J., Drayton-Brooks, S., & Clinton, P. (2013, January 16). Zooming in on the evaluation criteria: Voices of experience. 90 minute national webinar: Sponsored by the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF).
- Barksdale, D. J. (2012, October 4). Moderator/presenter the 90 minute national webinar: Criteria for Evaluation of Nurse Practitioner Programs: 4th Edition featuring Dr. Patricia Clinton and Dr. Shirlee Drayton Brooks. Sponsored by the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2012, October 23-25). Visiting Professor at the University of Michigan School of Nursing. Presentations, Faculty Consultation, Students meetings. Ann Arbor, MI.
- Barksdale, D. J., Drayton-Brooks, S., & Clinton, P. (2012, October 4). Criteria for Evaluation of Nurse Practitioner Programs: 4th Edition. 90 minute national webinar. Sponsored by the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF).
- Barksdale, D. J. (2012, June 13). White House Invitation: Discussion on Improving Care Quality and Patient Health. Eisenhower Executive Office Building, Washington, D.C. http://nursing.unc.edu/news-events/items?tag=Debra%20Barksdale
- Barksdale, D. J. (2012, April 30). Conducted Daylong Conference on Research, Grant Writing and Funding. Winston Salem State University. Sponsored by the Division Nursing. Winston Salem, NC.
- Barksdale, D. J., (2012, April 15). Dialogues on Diversity. Organized and facilitated a panel discussion on the paper, When The Rules are Fair but the Game Isn’t. Other Panelist: Christine M. Arambura Alegria, Veronica Wilbur, and Carolyn Montoya. NONPF Annual Conference, Charleston, SC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2012, March 29). Keynote. Pacific Institute of Nursing Conference. Honolulu Hawaii.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2012, March 1). Health Disparities. Keynote Speaker. 16th Annual Helen S. Miller Lectureship and Luncheon. North Carolina Central University. Department of Nursing. Durham, NC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2012, January 28). Keynote. Linking research and practice to advance nursing science. AACN Doctoral Education Conference 2012. Leading Change, Advancing Health: An agenda for Doctoral Education. Naples, Fl.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2012). Leadership Interviews – “3 Questions” – Debra Barksdale on Nurses and the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute. Nursing Outlook in Blog. http://www.nursingoutlooktalk.com/2012/01/20/leadership-interviews-3-questions-debra-barksdale-on-pcori/
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, December 2). Panel: Comparative effectiveness research. Other Panelist: Carolyn Clancy, MD, Director, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; Sean Tunis, MD, President and Chief Executive Officer, Center for Medical Technology Policy. 2011 Washington Representatives Retreat Sponsored by the National Health Council, Annapolis, Maryland.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, October 23). The patient-centered outcomes research institute. American Association of Colleges of Nursing’s (AACN) Fall Semiannual Meeting. Washington, DC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, October 13). Nurses and patient centered-research. Audio interview with Shawn Kennedy, editor-in-chief. Off the Charts: American Journal of Nursing Blog. http://ajnoffthecharts.com/2011/10/13/nurses-and-patient-centered-research/
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, October 12). National experiences of nursing and comparative effectiveness research. American Academy of Nursing, Council of Advancement of Nursing Science (CANS). A national conference examining comparative effectiveness and patient-centered outcomes research methods and their use in practice and policy. Washington, DC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, September 28). Moderated the 90 minute national webinar: Moving Beyond Excellence in Teaching to Scholarship of Teaching featuring Dr. Marilyn Oerrmann. Sponsored by the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF).
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, May 12). Technology in education. Day long hands-on workshop as part of the UNC-School of Nursing Center for Lifelong Learning’s Excellence in Teaching Certificate Program. 30 participants.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011). 10 Questions with Debra J. Barksdale. Featured in Syllabus, The Newsletter of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. 37 (5), 4-5. http://apps.aacn.nche.edu/Publications/Syllabus/2011/SepOct11.pdf
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, September 28- 29). Where in the world is Dr. Barksdale speaking on research, teaching and practice: Japan and Korea. Poster Presentation at the School of Nursing 2011 Global Health Expo. Chapel Hill, NC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, September 28). The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute: Opportunities for Nursing. Research Support and Consultation (RSC) Seminar, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Nursing.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, June 29). Current issues affecting nurse practitioner education and practice. Korean Society of Critical Care Nursing, the Research Institute of Nursing Science at Seoul National University and the Department of Nursing at Korea National Open University, Seoul Korea.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, June 28). Improving clinical education for advanced practice nurses. Two hour presentation for the Conference: A New Perspective on Nursing Education. Hanyang University. Seoul Korea.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, June 28). The role of the APN in nurse-led clinics. One hour lecture to students gerontological nurse practitioner students at Hanyang University.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, June 25). Advanced practice nurses: Answering the call for primary care, Symposium: Introducing advanced nursing in primary care. Japan Association for Research in Family Nursing. Kyoto, Japan.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, April 14). Dialogue on Diversity. Facilitated this forum which provides opportunities for faculty to engage in continued discussion on diversity in its many forms. NONPF 37th Annual Conference: Highway to the Future: Driving Nurse Practitioner Education, April 14 - April 17, 2011, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Invited Presentations: Local
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, November 6). Mentee or mentor: Mastering the ability to guide and follow. North Carolina Nurses Association (NCNA) Doctor of Nursing Practice Council. Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2015, November 4). Get on board: The thrills of influence. Webinar for Duke-Johnson & Johnson Nurse Leadership Program. Durham, NC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2015, November 4). PCORI at Age 5: Supporting research done differently. The Office of Research Support & Consultation Seminar. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill, NC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, May 18). Get on board: The thrills of influence. Duke-Johnson & Johnson Nurse Leadership Program. Durham, NC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, April 22). Why do people matter in research? Cardiovascular Epidemiology Research Seminar. School of Public Health. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Barksdale, D. J, (2014, April 12). Keynote: Patient Centered Care in the Era of Health Care Networks. North Carolina Heart and Vascular Cardiovascular Symposium: Building a Network of Care. UNC Health Care. Raleigh, NC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2014, February 4). Women and obesity forum: Implications for transdisciplinary science 2014. Member Transdisciplinary Expert Panel, sponsored by the Diabetes and Obesity Core at the Center for Women’s Health Research, in partnership with the CDTR, TRACs, HPDP and NORC. Chapel Hill, NC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2013, September 20). Removing Barriers to Full Scope of Practice in Nursing. 9th Nurse Executive Leadership Conference. Frances Ross Memorial Scholarship Program. Friday Center, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2013, September 17). Member of interdisciplinary panel for the discussion of the movie Escape Fire: The fight to rescue American health care. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Barksdale, D. J. & Thoyre, S. (2013, April 29). Guiding Students Toward Doctoral Education: DNP versus PhD. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill, NC. Video conference to UNC Systems Schools.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2013, April 27). The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute: Focusing on the Patient's Perspective and Voice. Shared Learning Association of Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill, NC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2012, April 23). The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute. Institute of Aging. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill, NC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2012, March 23). Advanced Practice Q&A. Hosted by the UNC-CH School of Nursing Undergraduate Student Advisory Council. Chapel Hill, NC. Other Panelist: S. Thoyre and J. D’Auria.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011). The Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute. The Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, June 14). PCORI: The patient-centered outcomes research institute. NC TraCS Comparative Effectiveness Research Interest Group meeting. Chapel Hill, NC.
- Barksdale, D. J. (2011, November 7). Panel: Biological consequences of chronic social and economic disadvantage. Third Annual African American Economic Summit Conference. Chapel Hill, NC.