Holly Buchanan , DNP, RN, ANP-BCClinical Assistant Professor
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3025
PO Box 980567
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I maintain an active clinical practice as an adult nurse practitioner (ANP). I also teach primarily in the master’s and RN-BSN programs.
My program of research focuses on the impact of diet on the cardiovascular risk factors of adults with one or more risk factors for heart disease. I am also interested in gene-environment interactions (epigenetics) as related to the risk of developing cardiovascular disease in adults. My research focuses on the promotion of healthy lifestyle behaviors and the nutrition choices of adults.
I serve as a committee member on the March of Dimes Nurse of the Year Awards and Recognition Committee of the Richmond March of Dimes chapter. I am currently an active member of the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners, Tidewater region.
- B.S. University of Richmond, Richmond, VA
Biology, Minor in Women’s Studies
- B.S.N. Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- M.S. Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- DNP University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- NLN Leadership Institute LEAD Program Participant, National League of Nursing 2015
- Member Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society 2004
- Member Golden Key International Honor Society 2011
- 2014 Susan McDonald Conference Fund 2014
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing Dean’s List 2002-2004
- University of Richmond Dean’s List 1997-2000
- Bonner Scholar, University of Richmond
2013-2014: VA Beach Diet Study:An Investigation of Plant-Based, Mediterranean, Paleolithic, and DASH Diets Grant/Liposcience,Inc., Study Coordinator ($6,500)
- Buchanan, H. A., Tullman, D., Williams, I., Holmes, V., & Talreja, D. (2013). The Impact of a Sixty Day Nurse-Led Lifestyle Modification Program Emphasizing a Whole Food, Plant-Based Diet on the Cardiovascular Risk Factors of Adult Volunteers. (Unpublished doctoral capstone). University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Talreja, D., Buchanan, H. A., Talreja, R., Heiby, L., Thomas, B., Wetmore, J., Pourfarzib, R., & Winegar, D. (2014). Impact of a Paleolithic Diet on Modifiable Cardiovascular Risk Factors. Journal OF Clinical Lipidology, 8(3), 341.
Veesart, A., Buchanan, H. & Hammersla, M. (2016, September). Effective Strategies to Promote Generational Cohesion in the Workplace. Podium Presentation at the Sigma Theta Tau International Leadership Connection Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Buchanan, H. A., Tullman, D., Williams, I., Holmes, V., & Talreja, D. (2013). The Impact of a Sixty Day Nurse-Led Lifestyle Modification Program Emphasizing a Whole Food, Plant-Based Diet on the Cardiovascular Risk Factors of Adult Volunteers. Poster presented at the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners Annual Conference, Reston, VA, March, 6, 2014.