Lana Sargent, M.S.N., RN, FNP-C, GNP-BCAssistant Professor
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3063
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I am the Concentration Coordinator and teach in the Adult-Gerongology Primary Care concentration in the Master’s program. I teach teams of interprofessional students in community based clinical settings to care for older adults aging in place. I also teach using live clinical simulation and use technology in the classroom to simulate clinical case scenarios
The primary focus of my research is in educational research with a specific focus on interprofessional education, and the use of technology in education. Using Benner’s Novice to Expert framework, I developed and studied a practice based nurse practitioner educational model with the goal of enhancing transitions into practice. I have also participated in community engagement research, with the goal to develop models of care to improve health outcomes for older adults aging in place with a high chronic disease burden.
I am an active member of the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners (VCNP), Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA), The American Geriatric Society (AGS), and The Gerontological Society of America (GSA).
- MSN Regis College, Weston, MA
- BSN Regis College, Weston, MA
- BS Research Science, University of Massachusetts Amherst, MA
- The Promise of Nursing for South Carolina Regional Faculty Fellowship 2014
- Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners Education Award 2014
- Mabel E. Montgomery Award 2013
- 2009 - Geiger Gibson Emerging Leader Award, George Washington University
- 2004 - Excellence in Nursing Research and Scholarship, Regis College
- 2003 - Excellence in Nursing Leadership Award, Regis College
- 07/01/2013-Present: Co-Investigator, Richmond Health and Wellness Program (RHWP).
Funded by HRSA: Nurse Education, Practice, Quality and Retention
- 05/30/12-12/01/2013: Principal Investigator, iPad Grant. Funded by VCU Center of Teaching
- 8/01/2011-10/01/2012: Co-Investigator, Outcomes for Post-Graduate Nurse Practitioner
Center of Worcester. Funded by Jessie B. Cox Charitable Foundation, Fairlawn Foundation
- 07/01/2009-8/01/2011: Principal Investigator, Post-Graduate Nurse Practitioner Residency
Program Pilot Project at Family Health Center of Worcester. Funded by
Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers, Mass AHEC
- Sargent, L., & Brown, R. Assessing the Current State of Cognitive Frailty: Measurement Properties. Journal of Nutrition Health and Aging. January 2017, Vol 21, Issue 1.
- Sargent, L., & Miles, E. Transforming the Classroom with Tablet Technology. Nurse Educator. November-December 2016, Vol 41, Issue 6.
- Sargent, L.J. (2015). Functional Ability, Chapter 2. In J.F.Giddens, Concepts for Nursing Practice. St. Louis, MI: Elsevier, In Press
- Parson, P.L., Ogbonna, K.C., Sargent, L.J., Kovacs, P., Slattum, P., & Dow, A., Integrating Interprofessional Education into a Health Hotspot, CAB IV: Interprofessional Collaboration: Transformative Change from the Classroom to Practice, June 12-14, 2013
- Dow, A., Boling, P.A., DiazGranados, D., Sargent, L.J., Hobgood, S., Parson, P., Selby-Penczak, R., & Delafuente, J., Collaborating Across Borders (CAB) IV Interprofessional Collaboration: Transformative Change from the Classroom to Practice, CAB IV: Interprofessional Collaboration: Transformative Change from the Classroom to Practice, June 12-14, 2013
- Sargent L.J., Parsons P, Dow A, Delafuente J, Boling P.A., Implementing A Virtual Case System for Geriatric Interprofessional Education and Evaluation with Four Professional Schools, American Geriatrics Society, May 3-5, 2013.
- Parson, P.L., Ogbonna, K.C., Sargent, L.J., Kovacs, P., Slattum, P., & Dow, A., Design of a Community-Based Inperprofessional Clinic, Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium, March 9, 2013
- Sargent, L., & Olmedo, M. (2013). Meeting the Needs of New-Graduate Nurse Practitioners: A Model to Support Transition. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(11), 603-610.
- Sargent, L.J., Post-Graduate Nurse Practitioner Residency Program in Community Health, Northeast Regional Nurse Practitioner Conference, March 29, 2011
- Ritchie, L.J. (2004) Concept of Threat for a New Era. Nursing Forum. Volume 39 (3), 13-22.
- April, 2015: “Filling the Cracks with Coordinated Care: Addressing the Needs of Low Income” Southern Gerontological Society: Communities Engaging Again: A Two Way Street
- June, 2014: The Richmond Health and Wellness Program (RHWP): Coordinating Care for
Community-Dwelling Older Adults through Student-led Interprofessional Collaborative Practice (IPCP) Teams. All Together Better Health VII
- June, 2014: From Tabletop to Laptop: Making Interprofessional Collaboration Real.
All Together Better Health VII
October, 2013: Endocrine Updates. Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners’ Richmond Region
- May, 2013 Successful Web-based Inter-Professional Learning and Evaluation on a Large Scale. Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society (AGS), Grapevine, TX.
- April, 2013: Evaluating and Implementing Master's Essentials in the Curriculum Workshop.
National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, Pittsburg, PA.
- March, 2013: Exploring Teaching and Learning with the iPad. VCU Center for Teaching Excellence, Richmond, VA
- June, 2010: Geriatric Screening and Prevention. MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA and Massachusetts Academy of Family Physicians, Waltham, MA.
- May, 2004: “How to Identify Pain in Non-English Speaking Patients”, Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA.
- June, 2003: “Proper Use of Over the Counter Medications”, Rosie’s Place, Boston, MA.