Mary Lynn Davis-Ajami, Ph.D., M.B.A., RN, MS, FNP-CAssistant Professor
Concentration Coordinator, Nursing Administration & Leadership
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3045
I maintain active licensure and certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner. I teach leadership development, general management with a specialization in health care finance courses to diverse graduate students in both face-to-face and on-line formats. Additionally, I have extensive curriculum and course development experience for masters and PhD programs. My teaching also includes affiliate and visiting appointments both nationally and internationally. I serve as mentor to PhD students with research interests in health outcomes.
I specialize in research examining cross-sectional and longitudinal complex survey and claims data to estimate costs, health services utilization and quality outcomes in complex chronic disease, with a focus on diabetes, hypertension and chronic kidney disease. I work with interdisciplinary researchers from medicine, pharmacy, business and nursing to assess health outcomes in complex chronic disease. My research portfolio includes co-investigator work on NIH [NIH-DK102177; R-34], and contract work with the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH), as well as intramural funding for health care utilization, costs and health outcomes in complex chronic disease.
I am an active member of AcademyHealth, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, American Diabetes Association, International Society for Pharmacoeconomic and Outcomes Research (ISPOR), and Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI).
- Diploma West Suburban Hospital School of Nursing, Oak Park, IL
- BS University of Evansville, Evansville, IN
- MS University of Southern Indiana, Evansville, IN
Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner
- MBA Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, NC
- PhD The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Pharmacy Administration/ health outcomes research, second field business
- Post Master's Certificate. Teaching and Learning in the Health Professions. University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD
- 2013 Certificate of Excellence in Reviewing, in recognition of an outstanding contribution to the quality of the journal. Journal of Professional Nursing. Patricia Morton, Editor; Nina Milton, Publishing Director. Elsevier
- 2013 Faculty Fellowship University of Maryland School of Nursing: Davis-Ajami ML. New Nursing Faculty Fellowship as part of the Nurse Support Program II funded through the Health Services Cost Review Commission administered by the Maryland Higher Education Commission, $20,000 over three years
- 2011 Best New Investigator Podium Presentation. Davis-Ajami ML. International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) – Best New Investigator Podium Presentation – ISPOR 16th Annual International Meeting, Baltimore, MD
- 2008 Rho Chi Society – National Pharmacy Honor Society – The Ohio State University
- 2005 The Great 100 Award. Awarded one of the top 100 nurses for North Carolina – The State of NC
- 2005 The Top 45 Award. Awarded one of the top 45 nurses for Novant Health Inc. – Novant Health Inc., Winston Salem, NC
- Davis-Ajami ML Principal Investigator. AHRQ-R03-14-147. Paktz A, Thacker L, Wu J (co-investigators). Payer Specific Excess Cost of INfections in diabetes, by medication non-adherence.(SPEC IN Diabetes II). Total costs $100,000. Submitted, June, 2016, scored Oct. 25, 2016, pending decision.
- 2016-2018. Davis-Ajami, M.L. Principal investigator, McCue, M., Pakyz, A., Thacker, L. (co investigators). VCU PeRQ (Presidential research Quest fund, intramural). Estimating the payer specific Excell Costs of select Infections in adults with diabetes and their relationship to oral antidiabetec (OAD) medication non-adherence (SPEC IN Diabetes I). Total costs: $25,000
- 2015-2016 Davis-Ajami, ML. (Principal Investigator). Safe Kidney Care: national adverse safety events (SKC-NASE). Retrospective cross sectional study using the Nationwide Inpatient Sample (NIS) from the Health Cost and Utilization Project (H-CUP) data to assess how renal-pertinent ADEs are associated with predictors of disease progression from pre-dialysis CKD to ESRD and other severe adverse outcomes (stroke, myocardial infarction, death, or re-hospitalization) in a nationally representative sample of individuals with CKD. Virginia Commonwealth University Intramural Funding. Total costs: $10,575. Project dates: 07/01/2015 – 06/30/2016.
- 2013 Davis-Ajami, ML. (Principal Investigator), Fink J M.D., Chen JJ M.S. (co-investigators). “Risks and direct medical costs associated with being prescribed renal avoid, NSAIDS, and or nephrotoxic medications in adults with chronic kidney disease” MEPS database research. Intramural funding from the University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, $10,000 (2013)
- 2014-2015 Davis-Ajami, ML. (Principal Investigator), Storr C PhD, Montgomery K PhD, Brown MS (co-investigators) in contract with investigators from the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH). The healthy school dashboard project. The Center for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) grant to monitor trends in health outcomes and measures of school success in public school students with chronic disease. Total costs: $92,304. (1.5 calendar years for years 2014-2015).
- 2014-2015 Fink, J. MD, MS, (Principal investigator) Diamantidis C MD, MSc, Davis-Ajami, ML PhD, NP-C, Finkelstein MD, PhD, (co-investigator). [NIH-DK102177; R-34]. Utility of VA home telehealth to identify CKD-related safety events and reduce associated adverse outcomes. Total costs: $567,000, (08/2014-2015).
- Wu, J., Davis-Ajami, M.L., Noxon, V., Lu, Z.K. (2016). Venue of receiving diabetes self-management education and training and its impact on oral diabetic medication adherence. Primary Care Diabetes. doi: 10.1016/j.pcd.2016.10.005. [Epub ahead of print] [R, D].
- Davis-Ajami, M.L., Wu, J., Fink, J.C. (2016, Aug). Nephrotoxic medication exposure in US adults with pre-dialysis chronic kidney disease: health services utilization and cost outcomes. Journal of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacy, 22(8):959-68. Doi:10.18553/jmpc.2016.22.8.969. [R, D]
- Wu, J., Davis-Ajami, M.L., Lu, K. (2016, July / August). Impact of depression on health expenses and medical utilization in adults with migraine. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain, 56(7):1137-60. PMID: 27350407 doi:10.1111/head.12871. [R, D].
- Yang, B.K., Davis-Ajami, M.L., Friedman, E. (2015, Dec) Depressive symptoms and body mass index among a national sample of U.S. adults with diabetes: The mediating role of sedentary behavior. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice (Submitted, in review).
- Noxon, V., Davis-Ajami, M.L., Lu, K., Wu, J. (2015). Diabetes education: patterns and impact on medication adherence. Value in Health. 18(3):A64.
- Wu, J., Davis-Ajami, M.L., Noxon V. (2015). Patterns of use and expenses associated with mail-service pharmacy in adults with diabetes. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, 55:41-51. doi: 10.1331/JAPhA.2015.14058.
- Wu, J., & Davis-Ajami, M. L. (2014). Antidepressant treatment persistence in low-income, insured pregnant women. Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy, 20(6), 631-637.
- Davis-Ajami, M. L., Wu, J., Downton, K., Ludeman, E., & Noxon, V. (2014). Epoetin zeta in the management of anemia associated with chronic renal failure - differential pharmacology and clinical utility. Biologics: Targets & Therapy, 8, 155-167.
- Davis-Ajami, M. L. (2014). Capsule Commentary on: Michaelidis, et al., Cost-effectiveness of procalcitonin-guided antibiotic therapy for outpatient management of acute respiratory tract infections in adults. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 29(4), 646.
- Davis-Ajami, M. L., Wu, J., & Fink, J. (2014). Differences in health services utilization and costs between antihypertensive medication users versus non-users in adults with diabetes and concomitant hypertension from MEPS pooled years 2006-2009. Value in Health, 17(1), 51-61.
- Davis-Ajami, M. L., Costa, L., & Kulik, S. (2014). Gap analysis: Synergies and opportunities for effective nursing leadership. Nursing Economic$, 32(1), 17-25.
- Wu, J., Davis-Ajami, M. L., Sykes, L., & Keiser, S. (2013). Antidepressant prescription medication use patterns in a cohort of pregnant South Carolina Medicaid recipients with major depression, for years 2004-2009. American Journal of Public Health Research, 1(3), 72077.
- Davis-Ajami, M. L., Nahata, M., Reardon, G., Seiber, E., & Balkrishnan, R. (2012). Associations between joblessness and oral anti-diabetic medication adherence in US diabetic working age adults. Health Outcomes Research in Medicine, 3(3), e139-51.
- Davis-Ajami, M. L. (2010) Dissertation -The association between joblessness and diabetic adult working age oral anti-diabetic medication adherence and health services utilization. The College of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University.
- Neidecker, M., Davis-Ajami, M. L., Balkrishnan, R., & Feldman, S. R. (2009). Pharmacoeconomic considerations in treating actinic keratosis. PharmacoEconomics, 7(6), 451-464.
- Davis-Ajami, ML. Organizational finance and structure. Invited presentation as part of the Langston Quality Scholars Program, VCU, Richmond, VA. 1 contact hour CE.
- Davis-Ajami, ML. Sustaining quality and safety initiatives in health care organizations. Invited presentation as part of the Langston Quality Scholars Program VCU, Richmond, VA. 1 contact hour CE.
- 2016, May Poster presentation: Wu, J., Davis-Ajami, M.L., Lu, K. (2016). Impact of depression on health expenses and medical utilization in adults with migraine. ISPOR 21st annual international meeting, Washington DC.
- Davis-Ajami, ML. From the (luncheon) napkin to the market. Invited presentation to VCU School of Allied Health Master’s-level Health Administration Program, class HADM 648, Strategy, VCU, Richmond, VA.
- Ferrara K, Davis-Ajami ML, Warren J, Stankiewicz-Murphy L. De-escalation training for medical-surgical nurses in the acute care setting. WellSpan Health and Contributing Partners: Eta Eta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International, Hanover Hospital Nursing, Memorial Hospital Nursing, and York College of Pennsylvania Stabler Department of Nursing (April 22, 2016). Podium presentation.
- 2016, April Poster presentation: STTI Omega Chapter Research Showcase, VCU School of Nursing. Davis-Ajami ML, presented 5 posters representing her research for the last annum (April 2015 – April 2016), Richmond, VA.
- 2016, March Poster presentation: Ferrara K, Davis-Ajami ML, Warren J. Stankiewicz-Murphy L. De-escalation training for medical-surgical nurses in the acute care setting. MedStar Health Research institute Research Symposium, March 14, Columbia, MD.
- 2016, March Poster presentation: Ferrara K, Davis-Ajami ML, Warren J, Stankiewicz-Murphy L. De-escalation training for medical-surgical nurses in the acute care setting. WellSpan Health and Contributing Partners: Eta Eta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International, Hanover Hospital Nursing, Memorial Hospital Nursing, and York College of Pennsylvania Stabler Department of Nursing.
- 2016, Feb Yang, B.K., Davis-Ajami, M.L., Friedman, E. (2016). Depressive symptoms and body mass index among a national sample of U.S. adults with diabetes: The mediating role of sedentary behavior. Discussion session E. Southern Nursing Research Society (SNRS), Colonial Williamsburg, VA.
- 2015, June Poster presentation: Davis-Ajami M.L., Wu, J., Fink, J. Comparing Medications that Can Cause Renal Tubular Harm versus Non-harmful, Their Use Patterns, Health Services Utilization and Expenses. American Diabetes Association 75th Scientific Sessions, Boston, MA.
- 2015, May Poster presentation: Wu, J., Davis-Ajami, M.L. Diabetes education: Patterns and Impact on Medication Adherence. ISPOR 20th Annual International Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- 2015, February Poster presentation: Yang, B.K., Davis-Ajami, M.L. (2015). Impact of Depressive Symptoms on Glycemic Control among the Diabetic Adult Population in the U.S. Poster Discussion Session C5. Southern Nursing Research Society (SNRS), Tampa, Florida.
- 2014, June Poster presentation: Davis-Ajami ML, Chen J, Fink J, Wu J. Improper Prescription Medication Use in Kidney Disease. Academy Health 2104 Annual Research Meeting, San Diego CA
- 2014, May Poster presentation: Wu J, Noxon V, Davis-Ajami ML. Mail order pharmacy use and associated health expense in adults with diabetes. ISPOR 19th International Meeting, Montreal, Canada
- 2013, Oct Presentation: Davis-Ajami, ML. Research aims. Interdisciplinary Research Seminar- Organized Research Centers, N880, University of Maryland School of Nursing
- 2013, Aug Presentation: Davis-Ajami, ML. Individual remarks and panel discussion: Strategies for success, transition to teaching: A series for nurse new to the faculty role. Institute for Educators, University of Maryland School of Nursing
- 2013, June Poster presentation: Davis-Ajami ML, Wu J, Fink J. Differences in health services utilization and costs between antihypertensive medication users versus non-users in adults with diabetes and concomitant hypertension from MEPS pooled years 2006-2009. AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting
- 2012, Nov Poster presentation: Wu, J, Davis-Ajami ML, Sykes L, Keiser S. Persistence in use of antidepressants in pregnant women enrolled in Medicaid in the United States. International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 15th Annual European Conference, Berlin, Germany
- 2012, Nov Guest lectures: Davis-Ajami ML. Transnational management. TRANSATLANTIK-INSTITUT Fachhochschule Ludwigshafen am Rhein Ludwigshafen, Germany
- 2011, May Podium Presentation: Davis-Ajami ML, Nahata M, Seiber E, Reardon G, Balkrishnan R. (2011) Associations between joblessness and all-cause health services utilization in US diabetic working age adults. ISPOR 16th Annual International Meeting, Baltimore MD, USA