Susan Johnson, Ph.D., RN, NEA-BCClinical Assistant Professor
Coordinator, RN-BS Program
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room # 3063
I teach in the undergraduate program, in both the didactic and clinical environments. I coordinate and teach the senior capstone course entitled Senior Synthesis and I teach Concepts of Nursing to the beginning nursing students. Additionally, I teach the capstone course entitled Practicum in Clinical and Management Decision-Making in the RN to BS online program.
RESEARCH AND SCHOLARSHIP:
The primary focus of my current scholarship is interprofessional education for pre-licensure students. Additionally, I have an interest in research and advancing nursing care standards for end-of-life (EOL) care in the acute hospital setting.
I am a member of the American Nurses Association, Virginia Nurses Association and the National League for Nursing (NLN). I serve on the University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee as well as on the Undergraduate Program Committee and Clinical Education Council at the School of Nursing. I also serve on a number of campus-wide committees and sub-committees that plan and implement Interprofessional Education curricula for professional pre-licensure students.
- Diploma - Nursing, DePaul Hospital School of Nursing, Norfolk, VA
- BS - Nursing, Viriginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- MS - Nursing, Viriginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- PhD - Nursing, Viriginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- June 2014: Identifying needs and opportunities for faculty development in interprofessional education. All Together Better Health Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- June 2014: Faculty development through collaborating on interprofessional course creation. All Together Better Health Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- March 2014: Participation with a faculty learning community fosters interprofessional engagement and scholarship innovation. Emswiller Interprofessional Conference, Richmond, VA.
- June 2013: Effect of an interprofessional quality improvement project on interprofessional competency. Collaborating Across Borders IV, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- August 2011: Partnership for excellence. VCU Department of Education and Professional Development, Richmond, VA.