Tanya Huff, M.S.N., RN, CCRN, CCNS, CNEClinical Assistant Professor
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3079
I am the lead faculty and teach Advanced Clinical Assessment in the RN-BS program. I am the Concentration Coordinator and teach in the Acute Care Clinical Nurse Specialist concentration in the Master’s program. I also teach clinical simulation courses to interprofessional groups of nursing and medicine students.
The primary focus of my current scholarship is interprofessional education with a focus on simulation use in teaching teamwork, collaboration and communication skills. As a DNP student, my area of focus is using simulation as an educational tool.
I am an active member of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN), National League for Nursing (NLN), and Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing. I serve as the Faculty Counselor for our local Sigma Theta Tau Chapter. I also serve on the VCU Honors Program Council and the School of Nursing Clinical Education Council.
- B.S.N. - University of Tulsa, Tulsa, OK
- M.S.N. - University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Adult Critical Care CNS
- Nurse Educator of the Year, Greater Richmond Chapter of AACN 2009
- Mabel E. Montgomery Award, VCU School of Nursing 2007
- 2010-2012: Montpetit, A.J., Adams, C., Roberson, A., Huff, T.A., & Elswick, R.K. Airway and Secretion Clearance Therapies in Critical Care. Sigma Theta Tau, Gamma Omega Chapter Nurse Researcher/Nurse Clinician Partnership Grant, $2,000.
- 2006: Zavertnik, J.E. & Huff, T.A. Small Grant Project. Virginia Commonwealth University, Center for Teaching Excellence Small Grant Project, $2500.
- April 2015: Building a Successful Interprofessional High-Fidelity Simulation Education Program. Podium Presentation at Interprofessional Healthcare Summit. Savannah, GA.
- April 2015: Poster presentation title: “Building a Successful Interprofessional High Fidelity Simulation Education Program.” Third Annual Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium. Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA.
- September 2014: Poster presentation title: “Using Critical Care Simulations to Enhance Interprofessional Collaboration.” National League for Nursing 2014 Education Summit. Phoenix, AZ.
- June 2014: Dow, A., Lockeman, K., Boling, P., Lanning, S. & Huff, T. A. A Campuswide Approach to Structuring Interprofessional Education. All Together Better Health, Pittsburgh, PA.
- June 2014: Huff, T. A., Orr, M. L., Dow, A. Using Critical Care Simulations to Enhance Interprofessional Collaboration. All Together Better Health, Pittsburgh, PA.
- April 2014: Orr, M. L. & Huff, T. A. Outstretched Hands: Using Critical Care Simulations as a Unifying Force to Enhance Interprofessional Team Collaboration. Greater Richmond Chapter of American Association of Critical Care Nurses, Richmond, VA.
- March 2014: Munoz, R., Smith-Peard, A., & Huff, T. A. Translating Evidence into Practice: Benchmarking Care of the Heart Failure Patients in the Emergency Department. National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists Annual Conference, Orlando, FL.
- February 2014: Orr, M. L., Huff, T. A., & Dow, A. Using Critical Care Simulations to Enhance Interprofessional Collaboration. Second Annual Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA.
- November 2013: Orr, M. L., Huff, T. A., & Dow, A. Using Critical Care Simulations to Enhance Interprofessional Collaboration. American Association of Colleges of Nursing Baccalaureate Education Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- June 2013: Zavertnik, J. E., Huff, T. A., & Dow, A. Using Critical Care Simulations to Enhance Nursing-Medicine Collaboration. Collaborating Across Borders IV, Vancouver, BC.
- March 2013: Huff, T. A, Zavertnik, J. E., & Orr, M. L. Using Critical Care Simulations to Enhance Nursing - Medicine Collaboration. First Annual Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium, Richmond, VA.
- January 2013: Montpetit, A. J., & Huff, T. A. Building Partnerships between Nurse Clinicians and Scientists: Bringing Research to the Bedside. Research Council Meeting, Chippenham, Johnston-Willis Medical Center, Richmond, VA.
- November 2012: Huff, T. A., Zavertnik, J.E., & Dow, A. Using critical care simulations to enhance nursing-medicine collaboration. American Association of Colleges of Nursing Baccalaureate Education Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
- October 2011: Huff, T. A. Using Case Based Education. Respiratory Nursing Society Annual Conference, Savannah, GA.
- May 2011: Huff, T. A. & Hermann, C. East Meets West: Critical Care Nursing in China. AACN National Teaching Institute, Chicago, IL.
- October 2010: Zavertnik, J.E. & Huff, T. A. Preparing adjunct faculty for simulation. National League of Nursing, Conference on enhancing nursing undergraduate teaching and learning in the clinical setting, Silver Springs, Maryland.
- October 2010: Huff, T. A. & Zavertnik, J.E. Respiratory simulations. Respiratory Nursing Society National Conference. Richmond, Virginia.
- May 2010: Huff, T. A. and Zavertnik, J.E. Integration of simulation into curricula and practice. Virginia State Simulation Alliance Conference, Richmond, Virginia.