Debra Shockey, DNP, RN, CPNPClinical Assistant Professor
Department of Family and Community Health Nursing
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3041
I share a joint position between the Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Division (60%) and the VCU School of Nursing (40%). I teach primarily in the graduate program with emphasis on pediatric issues. Additionally, I am actively involved in the development of the DNP program.
The primary focus of my research and scholarly activities has been the examination of pre-procedural distress in children with cancer and the incorporation of biofeedback and relaxation strategies. Newer areas of interest for me have included incorporating the use of pediatric simulation activities into the curriculum for the PNP and FNP graduate students.
I am an active member of the Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses, Children’s Oncology Group and the National Association of Pediatric Nurses and Practitioners.
- BSN Virginia Commonwealth University
- MS Virginia Commonwealth University
- DNP University of Virginia
- Shockey, D., Menzies, V., Glick, D., Gill Taylor, A., Boitnott, A., & Rovnyak, V. (2013). Pre-procedural distress in children with cancer: An intervention using biofeedback and relaxation. Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing 30(3), 129-138. [R]
- Ameringer, S., Elswick, Jr., R. K., Shockey, D. P., & Dillon, R. (2013). A Pilot Exploration of Symptom Trajectories in Adolescents with Cancer during Chemotherapy. Cancer Nursing 36(1), 60-71. [R]
- September 2015 Presenting a Professional Presentation or… How Not to be BAD (Bad, Annoying, or Downright Awful). IHTC Training Workshop, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- February 2015 Pediatric Nursing. Presentation at SNAV annual conference
- September 2014 Presenting a professional presentation…How not to be BAD-Workshop presentation APHON annual conference Portland, Oregon
- August 2014 Simulation in NP education with the development of well child care scenarios. VASSA annual conference. Lynchburg, Virginia
- June 2014 Using a Well Child Visit Simulation to prepare Nurse Practitioner students. International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning. Orlando, Florida (Podium)
- September 2013 Pre-procedural distress in children with cancer. Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses. Louisville, Kentucky (Poster)
- February 2011 Complement or detriment: The use of alternative therapy to manage the symptoms of a dying child. American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association.Vancouver, Canada.