Jeanne Walter, Ph.D., RN, FAAMAClinical Assistant Professor
Director, Undergraduate Programs
Department of Family and Community Health Nursing
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3031
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
My educational pursuits focus on measures to enhance clinical reasoning and observational skills in nursing students. Most recently, I have been a leader in development of IPE initiatives on the medical campus and has presented and published IPE work in a number of professional venues. In concert with Dr. Sara Wilson-McKay (School of the Arts, Art Education), I co-direct the Art of Nursing research initiative. We have developed a pedagogical model that uses museum-based experiences to develop clinical reasoning skills in beginning nursing students. Our work was recently published and recognized as one of the Innovations in Nursing Education by the National League for Nursing (2016).
My research interests have focused on biobehavioral approaches to symptom management and symptom distress related to cancer and its treatment. I am particularly interested in how physiological and psychological stress affects the immune response. My research populations have included individuals with HIV/AIDS and women with early stage breast cancer receiving adjuvant chemotherapy. I am a VCU Massey Cancer Center (MCC) Scientist.
I serve as the Director of Undergraduate Programs at the SON and am responsible for program integrity for the two pre-licensure tracks (Traditional and Accelerated) and the post-licensure RN-BS track. I also serves as the faculty liaison to VCU Health’s Nurse Residency Program and the SON’s representative on the Research and Evidence Based Practice Leadership Council (VCU Health). I’m a member of MCC’s Cancer Prevention and Control Group and serve on the center’s Protocol Review and Monitoring Committee. I am a long term member of the Oncology Nurses Society (ONS) and have had the opportunity to serve on numerous ONS task forces and committees at the regional and national levels.
- Ph.D. - Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- M.S.N - Texas Women's University, Denton, TX
- B.S.N - Northwestern State University, Natchitoches, LA
Memberships in Professional Organizations
- American Cancer Society
- American Nurses Association
- American Academy Medical Administrators
- American College of Oncology Administrators
- Oncology Nursing Society
- Sigma Theta Tau
- Walter, JM (co-PI with Sara Wilson McKay), The Art of Nursing: Designing a model of art-based interprofessional education leading to enhanced observational and clinical reasoning skills in nursing students. Presidential Research Incentive Program (PRIP Award). 2012-2014, Award: $50,000
- Walter, JM. (Project Director). Neurocognitive Impairment in Women with Early stage Breast Cancer, 2009-2011; funded through Grant #P30 NR011403 (Pickler, PI), Center of Excellence for Biobehavioral Approaches to Symptom Management; National Institute of Nursing Research, NIH. (Effort: 20%)
- Walter, JM. Co-Principal Investigator and Project Director, PNI-Based Stress Management in Early Breast Cancer (2005-2009) R01:CA114718 Principal Investigator: Dr. Nancy L.McCain (Effort range from 50%-100%), $3,012,935.
- Walter, JM Co-Investigator, Cranial stimulation for Chemotherapy Symptoms in Breast Cancer Patients (2009-20114) R01: CA127446 Principal Investigator: Dr. Debra Lyon (Effort 10%) $1,459,494.
- Recipient of 2004 Stokes Fellowship Award, Virginia Commonwealth University, School of Nursing
- Recipient, Distinguished Service Award, American Academy of Medical Administrators, November 7, 1997
- Fellow, American Academy of Medical Administrators, November, 1998.
- Ameringer, S. W, Elswick, R.K., Menzies, V. S., Robins, J. W., Starkweather, A, Walter, J.M., & Jallo, N (2016) Psychometric Evaluation of the PROMIS Fatigue Short-Form across Diverse Populations. Manuscript in press Nursing Research.
- Walter, J.M., Wilson McKay, S., Lovell, C. G., White, J.S., Hertle, M., & Lindner, SL (2016) [VCU] Art of Nursing: The Guiding Principles of an Innovative IPE Teaching-Learning Initiative,” in Caputi, L (2016) NLN Yearbook of Innovations in Nursing Education. Wolters Kluwer Health, Riverwoods, IL.
- Lyon D., Kelly, D., Walter, J.M., Bear, H, & Thacker, L (2015). Effect of cranial microcurrent stimulation on symptoms of depression, anxiety, pain, fatigue and sleep disturbances in women receiving chemotherapy for early-stage breast cancer MS ID: 1617202815166889. Manuscript in press SpringerPlus
- Lyon D, McCain N, Elswick RK, Sturgill J, Ameringer S, Jallo N, Menzies V, Robins J, Starkweather A, Walter J, Grap MJ (2014). Biobehavioral examination of fatigue across populations: Report from a P30 Center of Excellence. Nursing Outlook, Vol. 62, Issue 5, September-October. 322–331. EPub: July 18, 2014
- Walter, J.M., Wilson McKay, S., Lovell, C., White, J., Hertel, M. & Lindner, S. (2014). VCU Art of Nursing: The guiding principles of an innovative IPE teaching-learning initiative. NLN Education Perspectives
- Wilson McKay, S. & Walter, J.M. (2016). The Viability of the Metacognitive Awareness Instrument (MAI) as a Research Instrument in Art Education. Presented at the National Art Education Association Annual Convention. Chicago, IL
- Davis, K.D., Nye, C., Thacker, L.R., & Walter, J. (2016). Postoperative Delirium: An Interprofessional Learning Strategy for Undergraduate Nursing Students. Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium. Short Pump, VA. February 6, 2016.
- Davis, K.D., Walter, J. & Thacker, L.R. (2015). Finding Value in Care of the Older Adult: An Interprofessional Educational Strategy for Undergraduate Nursing Students. Virginia Nurses Association's 2015 Fall Conference. Patient & Family Centered Care: An Interprofessional Approach. Short Pump, VA, November 20-21, 2015.
- Davis, K.D., Walter, J. & Thacker, L.R. (2015). Finding Value in Care of the Older Adult: An Interprofessional Educational Strategy for Undergraduate Nursing Students. Poster Presentation. Nuts & Bolts for Nurse Educators, Minneapolis, MN August 7, 2015. *With special recognition from Dr. Tim Bristol during the main conference session.
- Wilson McKay, S. & Walter, J.M. (2015). The Art of Nursing Research Initiative. Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities National Conference, Blacksburg, VA. (Virginia Tech)
- 2014, November: Wilson McKay, S., Hertel, M., O’Dell, S., Dabbs, P., Jones, C. Lovell, C.G., Walter, J.M., Lindner, S.L. (November, 2014). Dialogic Art Encounters: Facilitating Effective Engagement with Art. Virginia Art Education Association Annual Convention, Richmond, VA
- 2014, October: Ameringer, S., Elswick, R.K., Jallo, N., Menzies, V., Robins, J., Starkweather, A., & Walter, J. (2014). Psychometric Evaluation of the PROMIS Fatigue-Short Form across Diverse Populations. Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science. October 14.