Susan Lindner, M.S.N., RNC-OBClinical Assistant Professor
Department of Family and Community Health Nursing
1100 East Leigh Street, Rm 3053
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I teach in the undergraduate program in the clinical area of Health Assessment, Nursing of Women, and Community Health. I teach didactic Health Assessment. I have provided guest lectures in Nursing Education.
Poster presentations have been focused on problem-based and student centered learning in the clinical environment. I am involved in two grant funded projects; “Bridging the Gap to Meaningful Use by Enhancing Electronic Documentation Knowledge” (Terrell & Lindner) and Improving Birth Outcomes through a Birth Companion Program: Providing Education and Empowerment, (Bell & Lindner).
I have served on the Undergraduate Program Committee, Faculty Senate, MCV Representative for Faculty Senate, University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, Admissions Committee, Clinical Education Committee, and Volunteer Doula Group. I am a member of Sigma Theta Tau, AWHONN, and National League of Nursing.
- A.A.S. - Ulster County Community College, Stone Ridge, NY
- B.S. - Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- M.S.N - Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
- Virginia Commonwealth University Alumni School of Nursing Outstanding Nurse Service Award- 2015
- The Daisy Award for Outstanding Faculty Member
- Bell, Kathleen & Lindner, S. (2014). Mimi Bennett Clinical Scholar Award. Virginia Commonwealth University Clinical Scholar Award. October, 2013. Improving Birth Outcomes through A Birth Companion Program: Providing Education and Empowerment. $15,000. June, 2014 Co-Investigator.
- Bell, K & Lindner, S. (2013). Mimi Bennett Clinical Scholar Award. Virginia Commonwealth University Clinical Scholar Award. September, 2013. Improving Birth Outcomes through A Birth Companion Program: Providing Education and Empowerment. $15,000. September, 2013 Co-Investigator
- Walter, J.M., Wilson McKay, S., Lovell, C. G., White, J.S., Hertle, M., & Lindner, S. (2015). [VCU] Art of Nursing: The Guiding Principles of an Innovative IPE Teaching-Learning Initiative,” Caputi, L (2015) NLN Yearbook of Innovations in Nursing Education. In press-for publication Fall 2015. Wolters Kluwer Health, Riverwoods, IL.
- Walter, J.M., Wilson McKay, S., Lovell, C., White, J., Hertel, M. & Lindner, S. (2014). VCU Art of Nursing: The guiding principles of an innovative IPE teaching-learning initiative. National Education Perspectives.
- Lindner, S. & McGrath, J.M. (2012). Family-Centered Care and Continuous Labor Support. Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews; 12(2): 70-72.
- Lindner, S. (2011). Safe Practice in Labor & Delivery: Intrapartum Nursing Caring of Multiples. Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews; 11(4):190-193.
- Lindner, S. (2016). “Incivility; Time for a Change.” Virginia Nurses Association's Education Day. Richmond, VA
- Lindner, S. (2015). “A Volunteer Doula Program; a Holistic Approach to Population Health and Service.” Virginia Nurses Association's Education Day. Richmond, VA
- Nye, C. Lindner, S., Beaird, G. (2015). “10 Minute Assessment: An Organizational Tool to Promote Student Quality and Safety Behaviors.” Virginia State Simulation Alliance, Inc. Virginia Beach, VA
- Nye, C. Lindner, S., Beaird, G. (2015). “10 Minute Assessment: A Tool to Promote Students Quality and Safety Behaviors.” 14th Annual International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation & Learning Conference. Atlanta, GA.
- Lindner, S. & Beaird, G. (2014). “From Day One: A Framework for Hospital-Based Assessments in Undergraduate Baccalaureate Nursing Program”. Virginia Nurses Association Education Day, Richmond, VA.
- Bell, K. & Lindner, S. (2014). Improving Birth Outcomes through a Birth Companion Program: Providing Education and Empowerment. Virginia Nurses Association Education Day, Richmond, VA.
- Terrell, D. & Lindner, S. (2014). Bridging the Gap to Meaningful Use by Enhancing Electronic Documentation Knowledge. Virginia Nurses Association Education Day, Richmond, VA.
- McKay, SW, Walter, J, Lindner, S, Lovell, C, Sampson, E, White, J, Hertel, M. “VCU Art of Nursing: April, 2014: An Art-based Interprofessional Education Exploration of Metacognition in Beginning Nursing Students”. Panel presentation. Global Alliance for Arts in Health. Houston, TX.
- McKay, SW, Walter, J, Lindner, S, Lovell, C, Sampson, E, White, J, Hertel, M. Panel presentation. “VCU Art of Nursing: Research Findings from a Museum-based Interprofessional Educational Model”. NAEA, San Diego, CA.
- Lindner, S. (2014). Community Health Nursing: Advancing Access to Care, Nurses: The Beating HeART of Healthcare Reform 62nd Annual State Convention. Virginia Beach, VA. (Podium).
- Walter, JM, McKay, SW, Lindner, S, Lovell, C. (2013). “The Art of Nursing: An IPE Model to Enhance Clinical Reasoning in Students”, Panel presentation. NLN Education Summit. Washington, D.C.
- Lindner, S., (2013). Click your Ruby Slippers and Follow the Yellow Brick Road to Active Learning. Poster presentation at the 40th Annual National Conference on Professional Nurse Educators Group and Development (PNEG), Lessons from Oz: Assuring Capabilities for Future Nursing Education & Practice. (Poster)
- Lovell, C.G., Lindner, S., White, J.S., Hertel, M.L., Walter, J.M., & McKay, S.W. (2013). The Art of Nursing: A collaborative interprofessional education project between art education and nursing. First Annual Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium, Richmond, VA. March 9, 2013. (Poster)
- Lindner, S. (2012). Student Centered Nursing Education; Time for a Change. Virginia Nurses Association (VNA), the Virginia Organization of Nurse Executives and Leaders (VONEL), and the Virginia Magnet Consortium, Education Day. Richmond, VA. (Poster)
- Lindner, S. & Lovell, C. (2012). Cultivating Communication: Using SBAR in an Undergraduate Nursing Clinical. 39th Annual Professional Nurse Educator and Development. Nurse Educators on a Journey of Excellence, Philadelphia, PA. (Poster)