Pamela Parsons, Ph.D., RN, GNP-BCClinical Associate Professor and Director for Practice and Community Engagement
Richmond Memorial Health Foundation Equity and Health Fellow
Department of Family and Community Health Nursing
Phone: (804) 628-3367
I teach content to faculty and students related to geriatrics and interprofessional practice. I maintain a clinical practice focused on complex care of the older adult. I am currently Project Director for the Richmond Health and Wellness Program, an interprofessional education and collaborative practice model serving health disparate older adults residing in senior housing apartment buildings.
My research focus is implementation and evaluation of models of care targeting chronically ill older adults and vulnerable populations.
I currently consult with Radford University School of Nursing on integrating interprofessional practice and education into the School of Nursing. I have served on an Urban Institute policy roundtable focused on housing services and older adults. I have also been a content expert for the American Nurses Credentialing Center Adult-Gerontological Certification Exam. Within VCU, I represent the School of Nursing on the Council for Community Engagement. I have served on the Faculty Senate and task force including evaluating Administrative and Professional Faculty Policies for the University and revising our Quest for Distinction Strategic Plan. Locally in the community, I serve as a Board Member for the Lucy Corr Foundation in Chesterfield County, VA.
- B.S.N. Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
- M.S.N Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Ph.D. Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Best Practices Award Honorable Mention: Richmond Health and Wellness Program of the VCU School of Nursing and a Partnership of Housing Communities and Other Service Organizations by The Commonwealth Council On Aging 2016
- National Academies of Practice (NAP) and the Nursing Academy as a Distinguished Practitioner & Fellow 2015
- Judith B. Collins and Joseph M. Teefey Distinguished Professor 2014
- Third Place Innovations in Service Coordination Award, American Association of Service Coordinators, sponsored by Critical Signals Technology for the Richmond Health and Wellness Program, in partnership with Beacon Communities. National Award 2014
- Martha M. Borlick Research Award, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing 2004
- Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society 2002
- Veterans Administration, National Performance Review, Presidential Hammer Award 1998
- Department of Veterans Affairs Special Contribution Award 1998
- 7/15-6/18 Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program HRSA Grant No. U1QHP28744-01-00 Ansello, E, Project Director, Parsons,PL. core faculty (10% ) 2,538,983.
- 2013-2016 The Richmond Health and Wellness Program (RHWP): Expanding Nurse-Led Interprofessional Collaborative Practice (IPCP) Teams for Community-Dwelling Older Adults. NEPQR HRSA Grant No UD7HP26044; Parsons, PL, Project Director (50%); Ogbonna KC, Sargent L, Hamric A, Moczygemba LR, Feldman, M, Cross, S, Conlon, AM, Mazmanian P, Boling PA, Dow, A, Slattum PW. Arrington, R. (2013-2016); $1,488,584.00
- 2012-2013 Dominion Place Health and Wellness Program for Older Adults Council on Community Engagement, Internal Pilot Funding, Parsons PL, PI and Slattum PW, $16,000
- 2011-2014 Next Steps: Inter-professional Geriatric Education for Physicians, Donald W. Reynolds Foundation Reynold’s Foundation, Boling, PA, PI. $999,946; Parsons, PL, Core Faculty (15%)
- 2011-2012 Oral Health Care Training of Direct Care Providers and Health Care Professionals Geriatric Education Training Center, Virginia Center on Aging. Lucy Corr Foundation, Patricia Bonwell, PI, Parsons P.L. co-investigator. $19,740
- 2010-2015 Virginia Geriatric Education Center, HRSA (2010-2015). Ansello, E. PI and Boling PA, co-pi; Parsons, PL. Core Faculty (7%). $2.1 million
- 2010-2011 A Feasibility Study of Symptom Burden and Frailty in Community Dwelling Elders: AD Williams Committee VCU Medical Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Parsons, PL, PI and McCain, N. $15,000
- 2006 Physical Function Among Urban Community Dwelling Elders: Implementing Community Based Research in a Low-Income Housing Development. Internal Medicine Pilot Funding, $10,000. Bohannon, A. PI and Parsons, P, co-investigator
- Pohoreskey, E, Sargent, L, Parpart, P, and Parsons, P. Incorporating an Innovative Triage Role into an Undergraduate Community Based Nurse Clinical Practicum, Submitted to the Journal of Nursing Education – CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW
- Dow, AW, Boling, PA, Lockeman, KS, Mazmanian, PE, Feldman, M, DiazGranados, D, Browning, J, Coe, An, Selby-Penczak, R, Hobgood, S, Abbey, L, Parsons, P, Delafuente, J, and Taylor, S. Training and Assessing Interprofessional Teams Using a Web-Based Case System. Academic Medicine, 2016, Jan;91(1):120-6.
- Bonwell, P, Parsons, PL, Best, A and Hise, S.(2013). An interprofessional educational approach to oral health care in the geriatric population. Gerontology & Geriatrics Education, 35(2), 182-199. DOI: 10.1080/02701960.2013.827572.
- Flora, D, Parsons P, & Slattum, P. (2011). Transitions in care: A source of medication related problems” Generations Winter 2011.
- Parsons, P. Mezuk, B, Ratliffe, S and Lapane K. (2010). Subsidized housing not subsidized health: Health status and fatigue among elders in public housing and other community settings.” Ethnicity and Disease (21): 85-89.
- Golant, S.M., Parsons, P, and Boling, P.A. (2010). Assessing the quality of care found in affordable clustered housing-care arrangements: Key to informing public policy. Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research, 12(2); 5-28.
- Parsons, P. (2015) Measuring the Impact of Interprofessional Education: Best Practices from Gerontology and Geriatric Education Lead Presenter: David Dickter, Pre-Conference Workshop Collaborating Across Borders, International Conference, Roanoke Virginia Podium
- Ogbonna, K, Sargent, L, Crossman, C, and Parsons P. (2014). The Richmond Health and Wellness Program (RHWP): Coordinating Care for Community-Dwelling Older Adults through Student-led Interprofessional Collaborative Practice (IPCP) Teams. Oral Presentation accepted and to be presented All Together Better Health International Conference VII, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Parsons, P, Slattum PW, and Feldman, M. (2014). The Richmond Health and Wellness Program (RHWP): Strategies for Successful Community Based Interprofessional Care.” Poster presentation accepted and to be presented All Together Better Health VII, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Coe, A, Moczygemba, L and Parsons, P. (2014). Identifying Problems during Transitions of Care and Reasons for Emergency Department Utilization in Community-Dwelling Older Adults. Student poster presentation accepted and to be presented All Together Better Health VII, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Ogbonna, K, Sargent, L, Crossman, C, and Parsons P. (2014). The Richmond Health and Wellness Program (RHWP): Coordinating Care for Community-Dwelling Older Adults through Student-led Interprofessional Collaborative Practice (IPCP) Teams. Oral presentation accepted and to be presented All Together Better Health VII, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Parsons, P. (2014). Cooling the Hotspot: Community Based Interventions Targeting High Utilization Individuals, accepted symposium, Gerontological Society of America National Conference, Washington DC
- Parsons, P. (2014). How Housing Matters. Housing and Health for Older Adults conference sponsored by John D and Catherine MacArthur Foundation and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Invited Panelist and Case Study. National Building Museum, Washington, DC
- Parsons, P. (2014). Urban Institute, Round Table discussion, sponsored by AARP and John D and Catherine MacArthur Foundation, Invited Participant.
- Parsons, P. (2014). IPEC Institute 2014 Interprofessional Education: Building a Framework for Collaboration: Team Panel Presentation of the VCU IPE experience including Alan Dow, MD, Stephanie Umphlette, Pharm D, Alexander Enurah, MD Candidate 2014. Herndon, VA.
- Parsons, P. (2014). LeadingAge: PEAK Leadership Summit 2014, Washington DC
- Parsons, P. (2014). Hopkins/Notre Dame Interprofessional Symposium, invited speaker, with Alan Dow, MD, Victor Yanchick, Pharm D, PhD, Baltimore, MD. Planned presentation.
- Sargent L, Parsons P, Dow A, Delafuente, J, and Boling PA (2013). Implementing A Virtual Case System for Geriatric Interprofessional Education and Evaluation with Four Professional Schools. Poster. American Geriatric Society Annual Conference, Grapevine, Texas.
- Parsons, P, Ogbonna, KC, Sargent, L, Kovacs, P, Roberson, E, Bean, M, Slattum, P, & Dow, A. (2013). Integrating Interprofessional Education into a Healthcare HotSpot: The Richmond Health and Wellness Program for Older Adults. Poster Collaborating Across Borders, Vancouver Canada
- Parsons, P, Ogbonna, KC, Sargent, L, Kovacs, P, Roberson, E, Bean, M, Slattum, P, & Dow, A. (2013). Interprofessional Service Learning with Underserved Community Dwelling Elders: The Richmond Health and Wellness Program at Dominion Place. Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium, Richmond VA. Poster.
- Slattum, P and Parsons P. (2013). Managing Medications for Improved Care Transitions: Focus on Long-Term Care. Invited Speakers. Virginia Pharmacists Association, Roanoke, Va.
- Boling, P and Parsons P. (2012). Impact of Adverse Drug Events on Transitions. Virginia Health Quality Center Statewide Conference, Richmond, Va. Invited Speakers.
- Boling, PA, Slattum, PW, and Parsons, P. (2012). Ensuring Safe Transitions: Don’t Throw Mama from the Train: Med Rec: Patient Literacy: Adherence, Coping, and Education Virginia Geriatrics Society Statewide Conference, Richmond, VA. Invited speaker:
- Parsons, P. (2012). Is the Glass Half Full or Half Empty? Alcohol and the Older Adult. Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners Annual Conference on behalf of the Virginia Alcohol and Aging Awareness Group. Homestead, VA
- Parsons, P. (2011). Struggling Up the Hill: A Research Strategy to Address Policy Gaps in Housing and Health for Seniors: National Center for Health and Public Housing National Conference, Washington, DC.
- Parsons, P. (2011). Subsidized Housing Not Subsidized Health: Health Status and Fatigue Among Elders in Public Housing and Other Community Settings. Consortium for Health Education, Economic Empowerment and Research Memphis Tennessee.
- Parsons, P. (2011). Who is Driving Miss Daisy? Aging and Mobility Conference, Sponsored by Virginia Department of Aging and VCU Department of Epidemiology and Community Health, Richmond, Virginia.
- Golant S, Parsons, P, and Boling, P. (2010). New Research on Resident Characteristics: Program Outcomes and Policies in Low-Cost Housing. Gerontological Society of America Annual Conference, Denver Colorado. Oral Presentation by Golant S.
- Parsons, P, Bohannon A, Golant S and Boling, PA. (2010). Designing Research to Assess the Needs of Elders in Public Housing using Richmond Virginia as a Case Study; Poster. American Geriatric Society National Conference, Orlando Florida.
- Parsons, P. (2010). Psychoneuroimmunology: A Framework for Understanding Fatigue and Frailty in Community Based Elder Research. Poster. Southern Gerontological Society Meeting, Richmond Virginia.
- Parsons, P. (2009). Alcohol and Drug Use: Is it Commonplace in Your Community and What Can You Do About It? Virginia Association of Non-Profit Homes for the Aging. Presentation provided at Lucy Corr Nursing Home. Invited Speaker.