Daphne Terrell, DNP, MS, RN, CNRNClinical Assistant Professor
Assistant Director, Clinical Learning Center
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I teach in the undergraduate program in the classroom and clinical environment. I primarily teach in the Pathophysiology and Pharmacology I and II courses. I also guest lecture in Nursing of Adults I course. I also serve as a faculty preceptor for a virtual interprofessional geriatric case.
I am a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) student interested in developing a program of research on the process of learning and implementing a systematic method for nursing documentation that is in line with the current standards of meaningful use and appropriate data input to address clinical quality indicators. One objective of mine is to adopt and implement a standardized meaningful use documentation format for faculty and students with an overall goal of improving the quality of nursing documentation and potential for hospital/healthcare system reimbursement while decreasing the risk of litigation due to inadequate documentation.
I serve on multiple committees and task forces at the School of Nursing. I am a member of International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning, Virginia State Simulation Alliance and National League for Nurses.
BSN Columbus State University, Columbus, GA
MS Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- DNP Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond VA
- Ann B. Hamric Award 2021
- DAISY Faculty Award 2015
- Mabel Montgomery Award Nominee 2015
- Virginia Nurses Foundation 40 under 40 Honorable Mention 2015
- Virginia Nurses Foundation Emerging Nurse Leader Nominee 2014
- 2014-2015: Bridging the Gap to Meaningful Use by Enhancing Electronic Documentation Knowledge. Funded as a Mimi Bennett Clinical Scholar. Total costs: $15,000. Project Date: July 1, 2014 – July 1, 2015
- 2019: Building Psychological Capital, Communication Competence, and Authentic Leadership through Simulations with Baccalaureate Nursing Students. Grant proposal submitted to the National League for Nursing by Wynd, Nye, Elswick, Russell, Curry-Lourenco, and Terrell. Total costs: $24,243. Project Date: September 2019 – September 2021.
- 2019: Exploring the Relationship between Situation Awareness and Clinical Decision Making using Point of View Glasses in the Simulation Environment. Curry-Lourenco, Rodgers, Elswick, Terrell, Corker, Williams, Ellis, Goodloe, Downey. Total costs: $1,499. Project Date: Fall 2019.
- 2021 Curry-Lourenco, K., Blubaugh, J., Bowles, F., Goodloe, E., Husson, N., Terrell, D. “Embracing the Pandemic Pivot: A team-based approach for designing, implementing, and evaluating alternate format simulations for undergraduate nursing students” Poster Presentation, INACSL (Virtual) Conference.
- 2021 Terrell, D. (2021). Exploring the Relationship between Grit and Nursing. VCU Health Nurse Residency Program. Virtual Podium Presentation.
- 2021 Terrell, D. (2021). Nursing the Change: Pausing, Pivoting & Regrouping. Exploring the Concept of Grit Linked to Staff Retention in Acute Care. The Langston Center for Innovation in Quality and Safety 2 nd Annual DNP Blitz. Virtual Podium Presentation.
- 2019 Curry-Lourenco, K., Rodgers, B., & Terrell, D. (2019). Best Practices in Simulation and Debriefing Workshop. Podium Presentation
- 2017 Terrell, D. & Proffitt, T. (2017). Crucial Conversations: Using an Unfolding Simulation to Build Confidence Related to End-of-Life Goals of Care. Virginia State Simulation Alliance Conference. Podium Presentation
- 2017 Proffitt, T., Terrell, D. & Johnson, S. (2017). Enhancing Medication Safety in the Older Adult: Guiding Nursing Students to Apply Evidence, Odyssey Conference: Educating the Acute & Critical Care Nurse. Poster Presentation
- 2016 Proffitt, T., Terrell, D. & Johnson, S. (2016). Enhancing Medication Safety in the Older Adult Cardiac Patient: Guiding Nursing Students to Apply Evidence, GeroFocus 2016: NGA’s Conference on Gerontology. Poster Presentation
- 2016 Proffitt, T., Terrell, D. & Johnson, S. (2016). Enhancing Medication Safety in the Older Adult Cardiac Patient: Guiding Nursing Students to Apply Evidence, The 2016 Heart Matters Conference. Poster Presentation
- 2016 Terrell, D. (2016). Bridging the Gap to Meaningful Use by Enhancing Electronic Documentation Knowledge, Virginia State Simulation Alliance 2016 Conference: Uniting Simulation Alliances in the 21st Century Healthcare. Podium Presentation
- 2016 Nye, C., Terrell, D. & Wechsler, S. (2016). Bridging the Gap: Using Simulation as a Tool to Enhance Readiness for Practice, Virginia State Simulation Alliance Capital Region Meeting. Podium Presentation