Brekk Macpherson , MSN, ACNP-BCClinical Assistant Professor
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3064
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
My teaching is primarily in the Adult & Geriatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner concentration. I am currently teaching in both the graduate and undergraduate programs in clinical and didactic settings including simulations.
My scholarship interests have kept me participating as a content expert on a National Library of Medicine grant supported project that is following up on the Towards Designing Information Display to Support Critical Care study. Right Now is a study working to find how to make sure providers have the information they need, when they need it, without having to sort through the full amount of data collected on critical care patients. Other research interests involve improving outcomes in critical care patients and changing educational practices to better prepare nursing students for the future of healthcare.
I am an active member of the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners (VCNP), American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN), The Greater Richmond Chapter of AACN, the American Association of Neuroscience Nurses (AANN), and a former Board Member of the American Board of Neuroscience Nurses (ABNN – The certification board of AANN). I serve as a member of the Master’s Curriculum Committee at the School of Nursing.
- B.S.N. – University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- M.S.N. – University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL
Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Reese, T., Segall, N., Nesbitt, P., Del Fiol, G., Waller, R., Macpherson, B., . . . Wright, M. (2018). Patient information organization in the intensive care setting: Expert knowledge elicitation with card sorting methods. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, ocy045. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1093/
- Wright, M., Dunbar, S., Macpherson, B., Moretti, E., Del Fiol, G., Bolte, J., Taekman, J., Segall, N. (2016) Towards designing information display to support critical care. Applied Clinical Informatics 7 (4), 912-29.
- Villanueva, N., Thompson, H., Macpherson, B., Meniur, K., Hilton, E. (2006). The neuroscience nursing 2005 role delineation study: Implications for certification. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, 38(6), 403-8, 415.
- April 2017: Poster – “Cranial Nerves: An EKG for the Brain” at St. Luke’s Health System, 5th Annual Neuroscience Conference, Boise, Idaho.
- May 2015: Podium Presentation – “Post-Operative Craniotomy Assessment” at St. Luke’s Health System, 3rd Annual Neuroscience Conference, Boise, Idaho.
- April 2006: Podium Presentation - Villanueva, N., Macpherson, B., Meunier, K., & Thompson, H. (2006). ABNN Role Delineation Study Report. American Association of Neuroscience Nursing, 38th Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA.