Jeanne Salyer, Ph.D., RN, FNAPAssociate Professor
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3037
In the School of Nursing, most faculty have the opportunity to teach across programs. As a result, I have enjoyed the opportunity to teach in the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral programs. In the undergraduate program, I have consistently taught in the RN-BS Program. As a diploma nurse, I am committed to helping students advance their education. I teach NURS 308 in this program. I also teach in the doctoral program in a series of courses focusing of research program development Mentoring doctoral students as their advisor and dissertation chair is a privilege and something I enjoy in my faculty role
My research program focuses on patients with end stage heart failure, those requiring mechanical circulatory support and those requiring cardiac transplantation. Currently I am working on investigations of symptom clusters in patients with advanced heart failure, validation of a risk stratification tool used in psychosocial assessment of patients being evaluated for LVAD implantation, and cardiometabolic risk in long-term liver transplant recipients.
In addition to my service to the School of Nursing and the University, I am a member of the Editorial Board for Progress in Transplantation and serve as an ad hoc reviewer for several refereed journals and scientific societies.
- Diploma University of Alabama Hospital, Birmingham, AL
- BSN University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL
- MSN University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL
- PhD Virginia Commonwealth University Richmond, VA
Nursing Service Administration
- Outstanding Faculty, VCU School of Nursing 2014
- Elected Distinguished Scholar, National Academies of Practice in Nursing 2007
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Gamma Omega Chapter Research Award 2005
- 2014-2015: An, K., Sterling, R. (Co-PIs) et al. “The impact of autonomic dysfunction on liver-related symptom in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and their relationship to systemic inflammation and insulin resistance”. Funded by the Center for Clinical & Translational Research Endowment Fund of Virginia Commonwealth University ($26,760)
- De Wilde C, Carrington J, Abbate A, Burton C, Bearman G, & Salyer J. (2019). Structural stress and otherness: How do they influence perceived stress? Journal of Transcultural Nursing, doi:10.1177/1043659618823915 [e-pub ahead of print] PMID: 30646827. [R S]
- An K, Starkweather A, Sturgill J, Salyer J, & Sterling R. (2019). Level of CTRP13 is associated with liver enzymes and cognitive function in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Nursing Research 68(1), 29-38. [R]
- Salyer J, Sargent L, Tirado C, Flattery M & Shah K (2019). Anticholinergic burden and cognitive impairment in heart failure patients. Journal of Heart & Lung Transplantation, 38 (4S), S299 [R, D]
- Ghadban R, Haddad L,Thacker, An K, LR Balster RL & Salyer J. (2018). Smoking behaviors in Arab Americans: Acculturation and health beliefs. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, doi.org/10.1177/1043659618783235 [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29957137. [R, S]
- Roberson A, Starkweather A, Grossman C, Acevedo E & Salyer J. (2018). Influence of muscle strength on early mobility in critically ill adult patients: Systematic literature review. Heart & Lung, 47(1), 1-9 [R, S]
- Salyer J (2018). (Chapter 5) Evolving and Innovative Opportunities for Advanced Practice Nurses, In: Tracy MF & O’Grady EO. (Eds). Hamric & Hanson’s Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrated Approach, 6th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders/Elsevier, p. 108-128.
- An K, Kim C, Salyer J., Bruffy S & Sterling R. (2016). Cardiovascular risk and mortality increase with progression of chronic liver disease. Circulation, 133 (suppl 1): 324. [R, D]
- An K, Salyer J, Brown RE, Kao S, Starkweather A, Shim I. (Sept. 2015). Salivary biomarkers of chronic psychosocial stress and CVD risks: A systematic review. Biological Research for Nursing, pii:1099800415604437. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26349905 [R]
- Ghadban R, Haddad L, An K, Thacker L & Salyer J.(in review) Smoking Behavior in Arab Americans: A Systematic Review, Substance Abuse and Rehabilitation
- Kao S……Salyer J et al. (in review) Mexican-American older adults with type-2 diabetes under family care: Medication administration along the US-Mexico border Hispanic Health Care International
- Salyer J. & Flattery M (2016). Is functional status a mediator of the effect of the sickness behavior and discomforts symptom clusters on quality of life in heart failure patients? Journal of Heart & Lung Transplantation, 35 (4S), p. S342 [R,D]
- Roberson A, Starkweather A, Grossman C, Acevedo E & Salyer J. (in review). Influence of muscle strength on early mobility in critically ill adult patients: Systematic literature review, Heart & Lung
- Billups K, Neal J & Salyer J. (2015). Immunosuppressant-driven de novo malignant neoplasms after solid-organ transplant. Progress in Transplantation, 25 (2), [R,S]
- Newnam KM, McGrath JM, Estes T, Jallo N, Salyer J & Bass WT (2015). A comparative effectiveness study of continuous positive airway pressure-related skin breakdown when using different nasal interfaces in the extremely low birth weight neonate, Applied Nursing Research, 14 (3) 181-186, doi:10.1016/j.apnr2014.05.005. [RDS], PMID:25017108.
- Herr JK, Salyer J, Flattery M, Goodloe L, Lyon D, Schubert C & Clement D. (2014). Heart failure symptom clusters and functional status: A cross-sectional study, Journal of Advanced Nursing, doi: 10.1111/jan.12596. [Epub ahead of print], PMID: 25533867, [R,D
- An K, Starkweather A, Sturgill JL, Kao HS, & Salyer J. (2014). State of the science: Salivary biomarker utilization for stress research. Perspectives in Nursing Science, 11(2), 87-93. [RI]
- An, K., Salyer, J., & Kao, S. (2014). Psychological strains, salivary biomarkers and risks for coronary heart disease among hurricane survivors. Biological Research for Nursing, (in press).
- Maltby, M. C., Flattery, M. P., Burns, B., Salyer, J., Weinland, S., & Shah, K. B. (2014). Psychosocial assessment of candidates and risk classification of patients considered for durable mechanical circulatory support. Journal of Heart & Lung Transplantation (in press).
- Savage, L., Salyer, J., Flattery, M., Alburger, L., Joyce, K., Mann, B., Ravindar, M., & Gonzales, M. (2014) Living with a total artificial heart: Patients’ perspectives. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 29(1), E1-8. PMID:23154298
- BouHaidar, C. M., DeShazo, J. P., Puri, P., Gray, P., Robins, J., & Salyer, J. (2013). Text messaging as adjunct to community-based weight management program. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 31(10), 469-476. PMID:24141325
- Newnam, K. M., McGrath, J. M., Estes, T., Jallo, N., Salyer, J. & Bass, W. T. (2013). An integrative review of skin breakdown in the preterm infant associated with nasal continuous positive airway pressure. Journal of Obstetric Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing, 42(5), 508-516. PMID:24024076
- Herr, J. K., Salyer, J., Lyon, D. E., Goodloe, L., Schubert, C., & Clement, D. G. (2013). Heart failure symptom relationships: A systematic review. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, (epub ahead of print). PMID:23839572
- Sharp, P., & Salyer, J. (2012). Self-efficacy and barriers to healthy diet in cardiac rehabilitation participants and non-participants, Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 27(3), 253-262. PMID:21760521
- Salyer, J., Schubert, C. M., & Chiaranai, C. (2011). Supportive relationships, self-care confidence and self-care behaviors in patients with heart failure, Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 27(5), 384-393. PMID:22048619
- Baker, K., Flattery, M. P., Salyer, J., Haugh, K. H., & Maltby, M. (2010). Caregiving for patients requiring left ventricular assist device support. Heart & Lung, 39(3), 196-200. PMID:20457339
- Byam-Williams, J. & Salyer, J. (2010). Factors influencing the health-related lifestyle of
community-dwelling older adults. Home Healthcare Nurse, 28(2), 115-121. PMID:20147805
- Chairanai, C., Salyer, J., & Best, A. (2009). Self-care and quality of life in persons with heart failure. Thai Journal of Nursing Research, 13(4), 302-317.
- April 2019: Salyer J, Sargent L, Tirado C, Flattery M & Shah K. “Anticholinergic burden and cognitive impairment in heart failure patients”. International Society for Heart & Lung Transplantation 39th meeting and scientific sessions, April 3-6, 2019, Orlando, FL [R, D]
- November 2018: An K, Salyer J, & Siddiqui M. “Cardiovascular risk and metabolic profile of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease patients and liver transplant recipients“. American Heart Association 2018 Meeting and Scientific Sessions, Chicago,Illinois [R, D].
- March 2016: An K, Kim C, Salyer J, Bruffey S, & Sterling R. “Cardiovascular Risk & Mortality with Progression of Liver Disease”. American Heart Association EPI/ Lifestyle Scientific Sessions 2016, March 1-4, 2016, Phoenix, Arizona [R,D]
- February 2016: Proffitt T, Salyer J, Scafide K & Menzies V. “Anticipatory Advocacy: A Conceptual Model”. Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions 2016, February 24-27, 2016, Williamsburg, Va. [RS]
- April 2015: Salyer J., Flattery MP, Maltby M, Weinland S & Shah K. “Emotional/social and Illness- related Factors Influence Eating Behavior in NYHA Class III and IV Heart Failure Patients”. 35TH Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions of the International Society for Heart & Lung Transplantation, April 15-18, 2015, Nice, France [R,D]
- April 2014: Salyer, J., Flattery, M., Herr, J. K. Heart failure Symptom Clusters and Functional Status. International Society for Heart & Lung Transplantation, 34th Annual Conference and Scientific Sessions, San Diego, California.
- April 2013: Salyer, J., Flattery, M., Lyon, D. E. Heart Failure Symptom Clusters and Quality of Life. International Society for Heart & Lung Transplantation, 33rd Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions, Montreal, Canada.
- February 2012: Herr, J. K., Salyer, J. & Lyon, D. E. Symptom clusters in heart failure: A systematic review. 27th Annual Conference of the Southern Nursing Research Society, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- April 2009: Salyer, J. Caregiver Burden and Support. International Society for Heart & Lung Transplantation, 29th Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions, Paris, France.
- November 2009: Sharp, P., Salyer, J. & Best, A. Self-efficacy and barriers to health promoting behavior in cardiac rehabilitation participants and non-participants. American Heart Association 2009 Meeting and Scientific Sessions, Orlando, Florida.