Lyons Hardy, M.S., RN, P-MHNPClinical Instructor
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3001D
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
*Academic office information. Do not use contact information for patient-related matters.*
I teach in the psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner program and serve as the concentration coordinator for the program. I am interested in using simulation and implementing active learning techniques to enhance PMHNP education.
I maintain my practice as a PMHNP in two settings. I am a facilitator for the VCU Building Inclusive Communities program. I participate in the VCU Psychiatry Grand Rounds planning committee and am the chair of the VCU School of Nursing Master's Curriculum Committee. I am a member of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association and the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. I am a member at large for the steering committee of the APNA Virginia chapter. I was previously a member of the VCU IRB for ten years.
- BA, UVA, Religious studies, minor in philosophy
- BS, VCU, Nursing
- MSN, UVA, PMHCNS
- Post-MSN certificate, UVA, PMHNP
- Outstanding service award as a NP preceptor, VCU, 2016.
- Outstanding master's student publication award, UVA, 2008.
- Boling, P.A., Hardy, L.T., & Crouse, E.L. (2016). Adult psychiatric care in the home. In J.L. Hayashi & B.A. Leff (Eds.) Geriatric Home-Based Medical Care: Principles and Practice (125-149). New York: Springer.
- Schofield, D.W., Al-Mateen, C.S., Hardy, L.T., Yu, Z.J., & Pumariega, A. (2013). Management of a mental health crisis in an international high school exchange student. Adolescent Psychiatry, 3, 52-60.
- Hardy, L.T. (2009). Encopresis: A guide for psychiatric nurses. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 23,351-358.
- Delaney, K.R. & Hardy, L.T. (2008). Challenges faced by inpatient child/adolescent psychiatric nurses. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 46.
- Hardy, L.T. (2007). Attachment theory and Reactive Attachment Disorder: Theoretical perspectives and treatment implications. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing, 20, 27-39.
- Hardy, L. & Kogut, C. Interprofessional collaboration on the psychiatric treatment team. VCU Psychiatry Grand Rounds, January 2018, Richmond, VA.
- Hardy, L. Perinatal mental health: A practical perspective on medication treatment. International Society for Psychiatric Mental Health Nurses annual conference, March 2017, Baltimore, MD.
- Hardy, L. & Woolfolk, L. Treating trauma related symptoms with medication. The Heart is a Muscle Conference, Action Alliance Training Institute, May 2016, Charlottesville, VA.
- Hardy, L. Transference and countertransference: From Freud to 2010. APNA annual conference, October 2010, Louisille, KY.