Mary Falk, M.S.N., RN, CCRN, PCCN, CNLClinical Instructor
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3085
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I teach across the spectrum of the undergraduate curriculum from the fundamentals level to the critical care level, with a heavy focus in the clinical environment of these courses. I am an instructor for the Technologies of Nursing Practice 202, Health Assessment 261 and Nursing of Adults II 425 courses and act as a preceptor for interprofessional case scenarios working with students of nursing, medicine, social work and pharmacy. I also serve as course coordinator for Technologies of Nursing Practice.
The primary focus of my current scholarship is developing innovative strategies for improving the quality of nursing education, particularly for senior-level students as they prepare to enter professional nursing practice. I am also very interested in improving end-of-life care in the ICU and developing interprofessional education strategies. Currently, I am a participant in the VCU School of Medicine’s Teaching in Medical Education (TiME) Faculty Fellows program.
I am an active member of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) and Greater Richmond Area Chapter (GRAC) of the AACN. I am a member of the Clinical Education Council at the School of Nursing. I continue to practice at the bedside as a Clinician III in the Cardiac Surgery Intensive Care Unit at VCUHS.
- B.A. University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Cognitive Science, Focus in Neuroscience
- M.S.N. University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- 09/13 Virginia Nurse of the Year Rising Star Award Finalist
March of Dimes Nurse of the Year Awards & Recognition Committee
- 04/13 Beginning Practitioner of the Year Award Winner
Professional Nursing Staff Organization, UVA Health System
- 03/12 Nancy Ballard Scholarship Award Winner
Selection is based on evidence of scholarship and academic achievement
Presentations and Publications:
- Falk, M. (2017, April). Realizing Empathy and Expertise through Accounts Lived-An Educational innovation.. Poster session presented at VCU School of Medicine Medical Education Symposium, Richmond, VA.
- Corker, J.M., Orr, S., Falk, M., & Singson, A. (2017, March). Nursing Empathy Matters: The Use of Parallel Charting to Promote Empathy in Our Future Nurses. Poster session presented at Odyssey Conference, Richmond, Va.
- Falk, M., Fields, E., Tseng, A. (2016, November). Peer Review. Presented at the VCU School of Medicine's Lunchtime Learning Session.
- Falk, M. (2016, October). REEAL: Realizing Empathy and Expertise through Accounts Lived. Poster session presented at Heart Matters Conference, Richmond, VA.
- Falk, M. Bare Hands and an Open Heart. Pulse-Voices from the Heart of Medicine. 19 August 2016.