Shelly Smith, DNP, APRN-BCClinical Associate Professor
Director, DNP Program
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3093
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
My passion for teaching covers the spectrum from undergraduate to doctoral level education. As a practicing adult primary care nurse practitioner, I keep abreast of acute and chronic care management trends. My scholarship interests in implementing systemic change in dynamic and complex organizations and my passion for policy and how it influences practice is threaded through my teaching assignments, including teaching in courses that are specific to those interest areas.
As a practice scholar, my areas of research address implementation science strategies to ensure the rapid uptake of evidence-based practice in the clinical setting. I investigate clinical problems and design organizational strategies to solve point-of-care problems and elevate those interventions, ensuring they are embedded in organizational practices and processes. Recently, my focus was on sepsis reduction and best practices.
My service commitments are twofold: As current Program Director for the DNP program, I dedicate time and effort to the School of Nursing as a member of the DNP curriculum committee, serve on the leadership committee, organization committee, and lead the faculty development speakers series. In the community, I serve to advance public policy that advances the health and wellbeing of Virginians with a special emphasis on elevating the contributions and impact of Advanced Practice Nursing.
- B.S.N. University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- M.S.N. Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
Adult Health Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- D.N.P. University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- NP State Excellence Award, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Fellow, Leadership for Academic Nursing Program, American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Washington, DC
- Virginia Nurses Association: 40 under 40 honorable mention
- Sigma Theta Tau, University of Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth University
- Phi Kappa Phi, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Raven Society, University of Virginia
- Intermediate Honors, University of Virginia
- Honorary Faculty Appointment, University of Virginia
- Smith, S. & Raskin, S. (In press). Achieving health equity: Examining telehealth in response to a
pandemic. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners.
- Smith, S., Hallowell, S. & Lloyd-Fitzgerald, J. (2018). DNP Essential II prepares clinicians for academic leadership: A narrative overview of three academicians and their leadership journey. Journal of Professional Nursing, 34(1), 16-19.doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.
- Smith, S. & Buchanan, H. (In Press). Integrating social media into an online academic program. Nursing Education Perspective.
- Smith, S. & Zolortofe, I. (In Press). Sepsis update for ambulatory care nursing. AAACN: Viewpoint.
- Smith, S. & Elias, B. (2016). Shared Medical Appointments: Balancing Efficiency with Patient Satisfaction and Outcomes. The American Journal of Managed Care, 22(7), 491-494.
- Smith, S., Sayler, J. & Kane, C. (2015). Shared Medical Appointments: Where we are now? Manuscript submitted for publication.
- McDougle, R., Smith, S. & Keegan, B. (Oct. 14, 2020). Translating equity research for
policymakers. Podium Presentation at NASPAA Next Leadership Development Institute for
Public Affairs Education.
*virtual due to COVID 19
- Smith, S. & McDougle, R. (2020). Translational research fellowship: An innovative approach to
inform policy making. Poster at Academy Health Annual Research Meeting: Boston, MA
*virtual due to COVID 19
- Invited Speaker, 2016 Bon Secours Richmond APRN Summit. Doctoral Nursing Education: Which path is right for you?
- Invited Speaker, 2016 VNSA Annual Conference. Policy & Nursing. Roanoke, VA.
- Invited Speaker, VCNP Annual Conference 2015. NP Scope of practice and opportunities presented by healthcare reform.