Shelly Smith, DNP, APRN-BCClinical Assistant Professor
Director, DNP Program
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3093
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I enjoy teaching across the curriculum from undergraduates to the doctoral level. I've found that recent training in online teaching has enriched my courses and find teaching in the virtual world both challenging and rewarding.
My recent Capstone research focused program development for innovative care delivery systems. I created a pilot shared medical appointment program in my practice.
In my role as Program Director, I serve as an ex officio member of the DNP Curriculum Committee. In addition, I sit on the VCU School of Nursing Lectureship Committee. I continue to precept students in my clinical role.
- B.S.N.University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- M.S.N. Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
Adult Health Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- D.N.P.University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Fellow, Leadership for Academic Nursing Program, American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Washington, DC
- Virginia Nurses Association: 40 under 40 honorable mention
- Sigma Theta Tau, University of Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth University
- Phi Kappa Phi, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Raven Society, University of Virginia
- Intermediate Honors, University of Virginia
- Honorary Faculty Appointment, University of Virginia
- Smith, S., Hallowell, S. & Lloyd-Fitzgerald, J. (2018). DNP Essential II prepares clinicians for academic leadership: A narrative overview of three academicians and their leadership journey. Journal of Professional Nursing, 34(1), 16-19.doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.
- Smith, S. & Buchanan, H. (In Press). Integrating social media into an online academic program. Nursing Education Perspective.
- Smith, S. & Zolortofe, I. (In Press). Sepsis update for ambulatory care nursing. AAACN: Viewpoint.
- Smith, S. & Elias, B. (2016). Shared Medical Appointments: Balancing Efficiency with Patient Satisfaction and Outcomes. The American Journal of Managed Care, 22(7), 491-494.
- Smith, S., Sayler, J. & Kane, C. (2015). Shared Medical Appointments: Where we are now? Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Zwibel, H., Pardo, G., Smith, S., Denney, D. & Oleen-Burkey, M. (2010). A multicenter study of the predictors of adherence to self-injected glatiramer acetate for treatment of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neurology,258 (3), 402-411.
- Invited Speaker, 2016 Bon Secours Richmond APRN Summit. Doctoral Nursing Education: Which path is right for you?
- Invited Speaker, 2016 VNSA Annual Conference. Policy & Nursing. Roanoke, VA.
- Invited Speaker, VCNP Annual Conference 2015. NP Scope of practice and opportunities presented by healthcare reform.
- October 2014: Podium speaker: Shared Medical Appointments: An opportunity for DNPs to meet the triple aim of ACA. National DNP Conference. Nashville, TN.
- March 2014: Poster: Shared Medical Appointments: A program evaluation in an otolaryngology practice. Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioner Annual Conference. Reston, VA.
- January 2013: Poster: Shared Medical Appointments: A program evaluation in an otolaryngology practice. North American Rhinology and Allergy Conference. San Juan, Puerto Rico.