Victoria Menzies, Ph.D., RN, PMHCNS-BC, FAANAssociate Professor
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3001H
PO Box 980567
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I am a practicing nurse researcher and nurse educator. I maintain my skills as a psych mental health clinical nurse specialist through clinical practice. I also provide guest lectures in a variety of graduate courses both at VCU and as an invited lecturer at other universities.
The primary focus of my research is biobehavioral symptom science among adults who have chronic pain-related conditions. My program of research aims at determining the clinical and biological risks that contribute to the development and treatment of chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia. Concurrent with this is my ongoing goal of developing adequate nonpharmacologic symptom management strategies for persons with chronic pain and associated symptoms and examining potential biological predictors of response to these interventions. My research expertise is complemented by my years of integrating a variety of guided imagery techniques into clinical practice and, more recently, having spent the past 12 years exploring the effects of guided imagery as a complementary symptom management strategy in chronic illness.
I am an active member of the American Academy of Nursing, American College of Rheumatology Health Professionals, Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science, and Southern Nursing Research Society. I am also an Ambassador to the Friends of the National Institute of Nursing (FNINR), supporting advocacy for nursing research, locally, regionally and nationwide.
- Ph.D. - University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
- M.S.N. - University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
- Ed. M. - Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- B.A. - Columbia University, New York, NY
- Diploma - Asbury Hospital School of Nursing, Salina, KS
- Ambassador, Friends of National Institute Nursing Research 2017
- Panel Member, Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program-Peer Reviewed Medical Research Program 2017
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing 2016
- NINR Precision Health: From ‘Omics’ to Data Science Boot Camp 2016
- VCU School of Nursing Outstanding Faculty Award 2015
- Oxford Fellow-Harris Manchester College Summer Research Institute 2014
- Daisy Award: Excellence in Teaching 2014
- Building Interdisciplinary Bridges in Women’s Health Research Award
(VCUHS/Institute for Women’s Health Award) 2013
- VCU School of Nursing Excellence in Teaching (VCUHS Award) 2009
- Southern Nursing Research Society Scholar 2005
- New Investigator Award for the Fibromyalgia Workshop: The Next Advances,
Washington, D.C. – National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases 2004
- Phyllis J. Verhonick Outstanding Dissertation Award (UVA School of Nursing Award) 2004
- The Raven Honorary Society – Scholarship and Service, University of Virginia 2003
- Emeritus Member, Dean’s Advisory Board, University of Virginia School of Nursing 2002
- Omicron Delta Kappa Induction - The National Leadership Honor Society 2000
- Sigma Theta Tau Induction – Nursing Honor Society, University of Virginia 1999
- 2014-2015 Co-Investigator: A Pocket Computer Delivered Stress Coping Intervention for Hospitalized Pregnant Women at High Risk for Preterm Birth. Funded through Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing Intramural Grant Program (Jallo, PI).
- 2009-2011 Principal Investigator on P30 Project: Self-Efficacy, Stress, Immunity, and Symptoms of Fibromyalgia. Funded by National Institute of Nursing Research P30 NR011403, Grap, PI.
- 2008-2009 Principal Investigator on Pilot Project: Stress, Immunity and Symptoms in Fibromyalgia. Funded by National Institute of Nursing Research P20 NR008988, McCain, PI.
- 2005-2006 Principal Investigator. Pilot Study: Exploring Effects of Relaxation and Guided Imagery on Outcomes of Pain, Distress, Functional Status and Self-Efficacy in Hispanic Persons Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Funded in part through American Nurses’ Foundation Small/Southern Nursing Research Society Award, 2005 and funded in part through Sigma Theta Tau International Small Grants Award, 2005. Project Dates: 2004-2006
Davis, K., Sargent, L., & Menzies, V. Invited Paper: Community-based care of the fibromyalgia patient: Strategies to promote self-management. Home Healthcare Now (submitted March 3, 2017).
Root, M. M., Gelbar, N., Bray, M. A., Bruder, M. B., & Menzies, V. S. (in press). Relaxation and guided imagery for parents of offspring with developmental disabilities. Journal of Psychological Abnormalities.
Lyon, D. E., Starkweather, A., Yingwei, Y., Garrett, T., Menzies, V., Pawel-Derezinski, P., Susmita, D., Sreelakshmy, K. & Jackson-Cook, C. Pilot study of the association of global and targeted metabolomics with psychoneurological symptoms in women with early stage breast cancer prior to and after chemotherapy. Metabolomics (submitted Jan 6, 2017)
- Jallo, N., Thacker, L., Menzies, V., Stojanovic, P., & Svikis, D. A mobile device stress coping app for hospitalized pregnant women at risk for preterm birth, MCN: The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing, accepted for publication.
Starkweather, A., & Menzies, V. (2016). CEU Module: Fibromyalgia: Diagnosis and management across the lifespan. Topics in Pain Management: Current concepts and treatment strategies, 2(2), 1-12.
Subnis, U. B., Starkweather, A., & Menzies, V. A current review of distraction-based interventions for chronic pain management. European Journal of Integrative Medicine, Epub advanced online: http://dx.doi.org/10/1016/j.eujim.2016.08.162
- Menzies, V., Thacker, L. R., II, Mayer, S. D., Young, A. M., Evans, S., & Barstow, L. (2016). Polypharmacy, opioid use, and fibromyalgia: A secondary analysis of clinical trial data. Biological Research for Nursing, Onine First, 1-9. doi:10.1177/1099800416657636.
- Menzies, V. (2016). Invited Paper: CE: Fibromyalgia: Current considerations in symptom management. American Journal of Nursing, 116(1), 24-32. doi:10.1097/01.NAJ.0000476162.13177.ae
Taylor, A. G., & Menzies, V. (2016). Complementary health approaches. In J. Fitzpatrick (Ed.),Encyclopedia of Nursing Research (4th ed). (in press).
- Lyon, D. E., McCain, N., Elswick, R. K., Sturgill, J., Ameringer, S., Jallo, N., Menzies, V., Robins, J., Starkweather, A., Walter, J., & Grap, M. J. (2014). Biobehavioral examination of fatigue and associated symptoms across populations: Report from a P30 center of excellence. Nursing Outlook, 62(5), 322-331. PMC4290842
- Menzies, V., Jallo, N., Kinser, P., Robins, J. W., An, K., Driscoll, C., Starkweather, A., Bajaj, J. S., & Lyon, D. E. (2014). Shared symptoms and putative biological mechanisms in chronic liver disease: Implications for biobehavioral research. Biological Research for Nursing.
- Sturgill, J., McGee, E., & Menzies, V. (2014). Unique cytokine signature in the plasma of patients with fibromyalgia. Special Issue: "Pathophysiological roles of cytokine-chemokine immune network" Journal of Immunology Research. Article ID 938576. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/938576. PMCID: PMC3987983
- Lyon, D. E., Starkweather, A. R., Montpetit, A., Menzies, V., & Jallo, N. A. (2014). A biobehavioral perspective on telomere length and the exposome. Biological Research for Nursing. Online 4 March. doi: 10.1177/1099800414522689. No PMID
- Menzies, V., Lyon, D. E., Elswick, R. K., Jr., McCain, N. L., & Gray, D. P. (2014). Effects of guided
imagery on biobehavioral factors in women with fibromyalgia. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 37, 70-80. PMCID: PMC3610859
- Menzies, V., Lyon, D. E., Archer, K. J., Zhou, Q., Brumelle, J., Jones, K. H., Gao, G., York, T.P., & Jackson-Cook, C. (2013). Epigenetic alterations and an increased frequency of micronuclei in women with fibromyalgia. Nursing Research and Practice Article ID 795784, 12 pages, 2013. doi: 10.1155/2013/795784. PMCID: PMC3766610
- Jallo, N., Lyon, D. E., Kinser, P., Lynch-Kelly, D., Menzies, V., & Jackson-Cook, C. (2013).Recruiting
for epigenetic research: Facilitating the informed consent process. Nursing Research Practice: Epigenetics Research and Practice. Article ID 935740. doi: 10.1155/2013/935740. PMCID: PMC3690242
- Menzies, V., Lyon, D. E., Elswick, R. K., Jr., Montpetit, A. J., & McCain, N. L. (2013). Psychoneuroimmunological relationships in women with fibromyalgia. Biological Research for Nursing, 15(2), 217-223. 15: 2, 217-223. PMC3722552
February 2017: Sturgill, J., An., K., Montpetit, A. J., Jallo, N., Brown, L. F., Swift-Scanlan, T., & Menzies, V. Understanding the Bio in Biobehavioral Research: Ideas to Discovery. SNRS 2017 Preconference Workshop. Dallas, Texas.
October 2016: Menzies, V. Invited Presentation: Alternative and Complementary Therapies in Pain Management. 2016 VCU Pain Management Symposium. VCU Health Systems, Richmond, Virginia.
- June 2015: Kelly, E. A., McKee, G., Van Eijk-Hustings, Y., Nodsi, M., O’Sullivan, D., Menzies, V., Carter, S.., Richards, P., & Minnock, P. Paper: Nurse sensitive outcomes in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: A systematic literature review. European League Against Rheumatoid Arthritis (EULAR), Rome, Italy
- 2015 May: Menzies, V., Young, A., Thacker, L., Mayer, S., Barstow, L., & Evans, S. (2015) Poster: Polypharmacy, opioid use, chronic widespread pain: A secondary analysis of clinical trial data. 34th Annual American Pain Society Conference, Palm Springs, CA.
- May 2015: Menzies, V., Young, A., Thacker, L., Mayer, S., Barstow, L., & Evans, S. (2015) Poster: Polypharmacy, opioid use, chronic widespread pain: A secondary analysis of clinical trial data. 34th Annual American Pain Society Conference, Palm Beach, CA.
February 2015: Proffitt, T. B., Salyer, J., Scafide, K., & Menzies, V. Poster: “Anticipatory Advocacy: A Conceptual Model.” 30th Annual Conference of the Southern Nursing Research Society, Williamsburg, Virginia.
- September 2014: Menzies, V. Paper: Psychometric Evaluation of the PROMIS Fatigue-Short Form in Women with Fibromyalgia. 2014 State of the Science Congress of Nursing Research, Washington, D.C.
- September 2014: Starkweather, A., Menzies, V. S., & Sturgill, J. L.Paper: Identifying the Biological Fingerprint of Symptom Clusters: Exemplars using Inflammatory Biomarkers. 2014 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research, Washington, D.C.
- April 2014: Menzies, V. Paper: Increased Frequency of Micronuclei in Fibromyalgia. Symposium: Research Methodologies and Frameworks regarding the Gene x Environment Interaction: Epigenetics and Biobehavioral Research. 26th Annual Scientific Sessions of the Eastern Nursing Research Society, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- April 2013: Menzies, V., Lyon, D., Elswick, R. K., Jr., & McCain, N. Poster: “Guided Imagery and Biobehavioral Factors in Women with Fibromyalgia.” National Institute of Nursing Research, 2013 Center Directors Meeting, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda Maryland.
- April 2013: Menzies, V., McGee, E. A., & Sturgill, J. L. Poster: “Unique Cytokine Signature in the Serum of Patients with Fibromyalgia.” 9th Annual Women’s Health Research Day, Institute for Women’s Health, Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, Richmond, Virginia.
- February 2012: Menzies, V., Lyon, D., Elswick, R. K., Jr., & McCain, N. Paper: “Effects of Guided Imagery on PNI-based Relationships in Women with Fibromyalgia.” 26th Annual Southern Nursing Research Society Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- January 2012: Menzies, V. “Discovering Evidence from Research: Guided Imagery as Adjunctive Symptom Management Strategy in Chronic Illness.” Invited Presentation: Center for Clinical and Translational Research, Virginia Commonwealth University Office of Research, Richmond, Virginia.
- October 2011: Menzies, V., & Elswick, R. K. Jr. Poster: “Preliminary Findings: Effects of Guided Imagery on Self-Efficacy and Stress in Women with Fibromyalgia.” 25th Anniversary Scientific Symposium, National Institute for Nursing Research, Washington, D.C.
- September 2010: Menzies, V., Lyon, D., Elswick, R. K., Jr., & McCain, N. Paper: “Cytokine Patterns in Women with Fibromyalgia.” 2010 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research, Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science, Washington, D.C.
- February 2010: Menzies, V., Lyon, D., Cheng, C., & Elswick, R. K., Jr. Paper: “Biobehavioral Relationships in Fibromyalgia.” Southern Nursing Research Society 2010 Annual Conference, Austin, Texas.