Lathika Mohanraj, Ph.D., RN, BMTCNAssistant Professor
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3071
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I teach courses in the undergraduate curriculum at the VCU School of Nursing. I am the course director for the Pathophysiology and Pharmacology course. My challenge as a teaching faculty is to kindle interest and promote critical thinking among students. My goal is to help students bridge the gap between didactic learning and their application in a clinical setting. I maintain clinical practice as a certified RN on the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit at VCU Health and am involved in teaching the foundations of bone marrow transplant to clinical nurses at the health system.
My program of research is focused on studying complications, acute and chronic effects of transplant that affect survivorship in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation recipients. My passion lies in understanding the link between clinical and biological determinants that contribute to the overall quality of life in transplant patients. I am interested in identifying molecular biomarkers that would aid early detection of patients at risk for chronic complications of transplant bearing in mind the challenges encountered in its clinical application.
I have been a Board member of the Oncology Nursing Society, Richmond Chapter for several years and most recently served as the Chapter President. I am an active member of the International Society for Nurses in Genetics and have been recently involved in the ISONG Congress Planning committee in addition to the research committee. At VCU Health, I am a member of the Nursing and Health Professions Protocol Review and Oversight Committee and have also chaired the Evidenced-Based Practice Committee on the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, VCU Health.
- Bachelor of Science, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Doctor of Philosophy, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Master of Science (MSc), University of Mumbai, India
- Bachelor of Science (BSc), University of Mumbai, India
Virginia Commonwealth University Alumni ’10 Under 10’ award
- Virginia Nurses Foundation ‘40 under 40’ award
- Outstanding Recent Alumnus Award, VCU School of Nursing
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia Commonwealth University, School of Nursing Dean’s List 2013-2014
- Member, Golden Key International Honor Society
- Travel Award 93rd ENDO Annual Meeting and Expo, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Winner, Poster Session, 9th Annual Meeting, National Postdoctoral Association, NIH, Bethesda, MD
- Graduate Research Scholarship, Virginia Commonwealth University
- 2021-2022: Principal Investigator: Monthly IGP Research Grant
- 2021-2022: Principal Investigator: Role of microRNAs in autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation outcomes: Tina Bachas Nursing Research Award
- 2018 - 2019: Principal Investigator: Epigenetics and Frailty: A Predictor of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Outcomes: VCU Presidential Research Quest Fund (PeRQ).
- McAndrew, NS., Strong, Y., Morris, KJ., Sannes, TS., Pirl, WF., Cole, S., Mohanraj, L., Knight JM. (2022) Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on cancer patients and psycho-oncology providers: Perspectives, observations, and experiences of the American Psychosocial Oncology Society (APOS) membership. Psycho- Oncology. (Accepted)
- Mohanraj, L., & Guidry, J. (2021). COVID-19 preventive behavior predictors among stem cell transplant patients. Supportive Care in Cancer, S41-S42.
- Mohanraj, L., Sargent, L., Elswick Jr, R. K., Toor, A., & Swift-Scanlan, T. (2021). Factors Affecting Quality of Life in Patients Receiving Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. Cancer Nursing. Publish Ahead of Print, doi: 10.1097/NCC.0000000000000990.
- Mohanraj L, Sargent L, Brown R, Swift-Scanlan T Assessing Frailty in the Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Population: A Scoping Review. Oncology Nursing Forum. (Accepted: to be published May 2021)
National and International
- Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on cancer patients and psycho-oncology providers: Perspectives, observations, and experiences of the American Psychosocial Oncology Society (APOS) membership. (2022) McAndrew, NS., Strong, Y., Morris, KJ., Sannes, TS., Pirl, WF., Cole, S., Mohanraj, L., Knight JM. 19 th Annual American Psychosocial Oncology Society Conference, Oregon, USA
- Altered DNA Methylation Patterns in HSCT Patients (2021) Mohanraj, L., Wolf, H. Lapato, D., Dozmorov, M. Swift-Scanlan T. 2021 ISONG Congress (Virtual conference)
- COVID-19 Preventive Behavior Predictors Among Stem Cell Transplant Patients (2021) Mohanraj L., and Guidry J. MASCC/ISOO Annual meeting on Supportive Care in Cancer, Virtual Congress
- Epigenetic Age and Frailty in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Patients. (2020) Mohanraj L., Swift-Scanlan T., Sargent L., Toor A., Dozmorov M. 2020 ISONG Congress (Virtual conference)
- Impact of Frailty and Cognitive Impairment on HSCT Outcomes. (2020) Mohanraj L., Swift-Scanlan T., Sargent L., Toor A., Dozmorov M. SNRS 34th Annual Conference, New Orleans, USA (Conference Canceled)
- Relationship of Frailty and Cognitive Impairment to Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Outcomes. (2019) Mohanraj L., Swift-Scanlan T., Sargent L., Toor A., Dozmorov M. MASCC/ISOO Annual meeting on Supportive Care in Cancer, San Francisco, USA
- COVID-19 Pandemic and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation: A Qualitative Study (2022) Mohanraj L., Kolonich, J., Naz, F., Kinser PA. SNRS 36th Annual Conference, New Orleans, USA
- Experiences of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Patients During COVID-19 pandemic. (2021) Mohanraj L., Buch M., Elswick R.K Jr., Guidry J. SNRS 35th Annual Conference (Virtual conference)
- COVID-19 And Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Patients (2020) Mohanraj L., Guidry J. VCU School of Nursing COVID-19 Research Virtual Event