Carley Lovell, Ph.D., RN, WHNP-BCClinical Assistant Professor
Department of Family and Community Health Nursing
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3067
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I have a fierce love of helping students to approach nursing from a holistic perspective, drawing on my background in psychology, women’s studies, and philosophy prior to nursing with a commitment to patient and family-centered care using active teaching technologies. My teaching interests are varied and you will find me as at home with teaching pathophysiology, interprofessional collaborative practice, and in leadership and management on-line as with teaching women’s health clinical, and technology of healthcare in the classroom. My primary teaching assignment is with pre-licensure undergraduates and in the RN to BS program.
RESEARCH and CLINICAL SPECIALIZATION:
As a practicing advanced practice nurse practitioner, I work with clients who are obese, particularly those who binge eat. My ambulatory and internal medicine practice is within the VCU health system. My research specialization flows from my clinical practice. As a member of the VCU bio-behavioral symptom science team, I am a beginning investigator examining the human response linked to binge eating, examining variables such as genetic, psychologic, environmental, learned, or cultural influencers. It is also my interest to examine whether there are common links between binge eating and other known addictive behaviors. As a proponent of translational research, I use evidence-based treatment approaches that incorporate behavioral techniques and am exploring the differences that a positivist approach might play in helping individuals reduce and maintain weight loss.
Prior to entering the nursing discipline, I gained human services experience as a District Executive at the Boy Scouts of American and as an Interim Director and Sexual Assault Counselor and Youth Prevention Specialist for the Hanover Domestic Violence Task Force. I am certified as a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner, with adjunct status as a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Internal Medicine.
In the School of Nursing, I hold an appointment on the Grievance Committee. Professionally, I hold memberships in the Society of Behavioral Medicine, the Southern Nursing Research society, the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners, and as secretary for the Gamma Omega Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau, International. My overall service goals involve advocacy for personal wellbeing as well as a specific love for women and children’s wellbeing.
- BA - Randolph-Macon College, Ashland, VA Psychology, Philosophy, and Women’s Studies
- BS - Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA Nursing
- MA - New York University, New York, NY Educational Psychology
- MS - Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA Women's Health Nurse Practitioner
- PhD - Medical University of South Carolina College of Nursing, Charleston, SC Nursing
- 2014, VCU School of Nursing Mabel E. Montgomery Award: Excellence in Clinical Practice
- VCU School of Nursing Excellence in Teaching Award: Week of the Nurse 2013
- Second Place Poster/Peer Reviewed, VCNP Annual Conference 2012
- Clinical Nurse IV, Virginia Commonwealth University Health Systems 2010
- 2017-2016, VCU School of Nursing Intramural Grants Program - 5,895.00
- Walter, J.M., Wilson McKay, S., Lovell, C.G., White, J.S., Hertle, M., & Lindner, SL (2016) [VCU] Art of Nursing: The Guiding Principles of an Innovative IPE Teaching-Learning Initiative,” in Caputi, NLN Yearbook of Innovations in Nursing Education. Wolters Kluwer Health, Riverwoods, IL.
SELECTED PODIUM PRESENTATIONS
- Lovell, C. (2018). An Exploratory Analysis of Psychological and Genetic Based Outcomes Related to Binge Drinking and Binge Eating Behaviors in a College-Age Population: Methods and Results. Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing, Research Council, Richmond, VA.
- Lovell, C., McKay, S. W., Walter, J. M., Cantrell, A. (2016). Community Conversations: Art and Health. Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA.
- Lovell, C., Aliev, F., Kendler, K., Dick, D., Adkins, A. (2016). Investigation of Shared Genetic Variation for Binge Eating and Binge Drinking Behavior in College Age Youth. International Society of Nurses in Genetics World Congress, Dublin, Ireland.
- Lovell, C. (2016). Binge Eating Disorder and Interventions for College Age Youth. Active Minds and National Alliance of Mental Illness Chapter presentation, Richmond, VA.
- McKay, S.W., Walter, J., Lindner, S., Lovell, C., Sampson, E., White, J., & Hertel, M. (2014,
April). VCU Art of Nursing: An Art-based Interprofessional Education Exploration of Metacognition in Beginning Nursing Students. Panel presentation at the meeting of the Global Alliance for Arts in Health, Houston, TX.
- McKay, S.W., Walter, J., Lindner, S., Lovell, C., Sampson, E., White, J., & Hertel, M. (2014, March). VCU Art of Nursing: Research Findings from a Museum-based Interprofessional Educational Model. Panel presentation at the meeting of the NAEA, San Diego, CA.
- Sampson, E., VanderWielen, L.M., McKay, S.W, & Lovell, C. (2014, March). The Art of Interprofessional Collaboration. Panel presentation at the 2nd Annual Jewell and Carl Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium. Richmond, VA
- Walter, J.M., McKay, S.W., Lindner, S., & Lovell, C. (2013, September). The Art of Nursing: An IPE Model to Enhance Clinical Reasoning in Students. Panel presentation at the NLN Education Summit, Washington, DC.
- Walter, J.M., McKay, S.W., Lindner, S., & Lovell, C. (2012, November). The Art of Nursing: Designing a Model of Interprofessional Education Leading to Enhanced Observation and Clinical Reasoning Skills in Nursing Students. Panel presentation at the AACN 2012 Baccalaureate Education Conference, San Antonio, TX.
- Lovell, C. (2012, September). Global Feast or Famine: How Obesity and Malnutrition Impact Women’s Health. Panel presentation at The Maya Angelou International Women’s Health Summit: Women’s Health: A Global Priority, Winston Salem, NC.
- Lovell, C. (2012, March). Low Fidelity Simulation to Increase Safety of Medication Administration Among Entry Level Nursing Students. Panel presentation at Drexel University: Simulation in Healthcare: Where No One Has Gone Before, Ft. Lauderdale,FL.
SELECTED POSTER PRESENTATIONS
- Lovell, C, Svikis, D, Kendler, K., Dick, D., Thacker, L., Aliev, F., & Adkins, A. (2018). Gender Comparison of Parental Problem Drinking History with Binge Eating and Binge Drinking Behavior Among College Age Youth. Poster presentation at the 3rd Annual Sigma Theta Tau Gamma Omega Chapter Research Showcase, Richmond, VA.
- Lovell, C., Aliev, F., Kendler, K., Dick, D., Adkins, A. (2017). A Genome-Wide Association Study to Investigate Shared Genetic Variation for Binge Eating and Binge Drinking in College Students. Poster presentation at the 38th Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine, March 29-April 1, 2017, San Diego, California.
- Lovell, C, Svikis, D, Kendler, K., Dick, D., Thacker, L., Aliev, F., & Adkins, A. (2016). Gender Comparison of Parental Problem Drinking History with Binge Eating and Binge Drinking Behavior Among College Age Youth. Poster presentation at the 12th Annual Women’sHealth Research Day, VCU Institute of Women’s Health, Richmond, VA.
- Lovell, C, Magwood, G, Kendler, K, Dick, D, Thacker, L, Aliev, F, Adkins, A. (2016). Associations of Maternal and Paternal Problem Drinking with Binge Eating and Binge Drinking Behaviors Among College Youth. Poster presentation at the 30th Annual Conference of the Southern Nursing Research Society, Williamsburg, VA.
- Lovell, C, Svikis, D, Dillon, P, Dick, D, Kendler, K. (2015). Caffeine, Alcohol Use, and Disordered Eating Behavior in Male and Female College Students. Poster presentation at the 11th Annual Women’s Health Research Day, VCU Institute of Women’s Health, Richmond, VA.
- Lovell, C (2015). A Social Ecological Model of Interventions Related to the Stress/Obesity Response. Poster Presentation at the 29th Annual Conference of the Southern Nursing Research Society, Tampa, FL.
- Lovell, C, Lindner, S, Walter, JM, White, J, Hertel, M, McKay, SW. (2013). The Art of Nursing: A Collaborative Interprofessional Education Project Between Art Education and Nursing. Poster presentation at the Emswiller IPE Conference, Richmond, VA.
- Lovell, C, Lindner, S. (2012). Cultivating Communication: Using SBAR in an Undergraduate Nursing Clinical. Poster presentation at the Villanova 39th Annual National Conference in Professional Nursing Education and Development: Nurse Educators: On a Journey of Excellence, Philadelphia, PA.
- Lovell, C. (2012). The Current Practice of the Nurse Practitioner in Combating Obesity in America. Poster presentation at the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners Annual Conference, Hot Springs, VA.