Carley Lovell, Ph.D., RN, WHNP-BCClinical Assistant Professor
Department of Family and Community Health Nursing
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3067
PO Box 980567
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I maintain an active practice as a women’s health nurse practitioner in the Department of Internal Medicine at VCU Health. I teach primarily in the undergraduate program in the clinical areas of Technologies of Nursing, Nursing of Women and Health Assessment. I serve as the course lead for the Technologies of Nursing course.
I am a PhD student at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, SC. My research interests include biobehavioral symptom science in the area of obesity and binge eating/drinking in the college age population, with the goal of advancing etiological understanding of the behavior, and identifying personalized strategies to reduce maladaptive coping binge responses to enhance heath and quality of life. I am also studying the contributions of perceived stress on health outcomes related to obesity and binge eating/drinking behaviors in college age youth. I am also a member of the interdisciplinary research team for a project entitled “VCU Art of Nursing”. This project is conducted at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts with entry-level VCU nursing students and with masters of art education students from VCU’s Art Education department.
I am a member of the Society of Behavioral Medicine, the Southern Nursing Research Society, the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners and currently serve as board secretary for the Sigma Theta Tau International Gamma Omega Chapter. I am also a member of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee and the Clinical Education Council at VCU SON as well as the College Behavioral and Emotional Institute at Virginia Commonwealth University.
- BA - Randolph-Macon College, Ashland, VA Psychology, Philosophy, and Women’s Studies
- BS - Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA Nursing
- MA - New York University, New York, NY Educational Psychology
- MS - Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA Women's Health Nurse Practitioner
- PhD - Medical University of South Carolina College of Nursing, Charleston, SC Nursing Anticipated date of completion: 2017
- 2014, VCU School of Nursing Mabel E. Montgomery Award: Excellence in Clinical Practice
- VCU School of Nursing Excellence in Teaching Award: Week of the Nurse 2013
- Second Place Poster/Peer Reviewed, VCNP Annual Conference 2012
- Clinical Nurse IV, Virginia Commonwealth University Health Systems 2010
- 2017-2016, VCU School of Nursing Intramural Grants Program - 5,895.00
- Walter, J.M., Wilson McKay, S., Lovell, C.G., White, J.S., Hertle, M., & Lindner, SL (2016) [VCU] Art of Nursing: The Guiding Principles of an Innovative IPE Teaching-Learning Initiative,” in Caputi, NLN Yearbook of Innovations in Nursing Education. Wolters Kluwer Health, Riverwoods, IL.
SELECTED PODIUM PRESENTATIONS
- Lovell, C., McKay, S. W., Walter, J. M., Cantrell, A. (2016). Community Conversations: Art and Health. Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA.
- Lovell, C., Aliev, F., Kendler, K., Dick, D., Adkins, A. (2016). Investigation of Shared Genetic Variation for Binge Eating and Binge Drinking Behavior in College Age Youth. International Society of Nurses in Genetics World Congress, Dublin, Ireland.
- Lovell, C. (2016). Binge Eating Disorder and Interventions for College Age Youth. Active Minds and National Alliance of Mental Illness Chapter presentation, Richmond, VA.
- McKay, S.W., Walter, J., Lindner, S., Lovell, C., Sampson, E., White, J., & Hertel, M. (2014,
April). VCU Art of Nursing: An Art-based Interprofessional Education Exploration of Metacognition in Beginning Nursing Students. Panel presentation at the meeting of the Global Alliance for Arts in Health, Houston, TX.
- McKay, S.W., Walter, J., Lindner, S., Lovell, C., Sampson, E., White, J., & Hertel, M. (2014, March). VCU Art of Nursing: Research Findings from a Museum-based Interprofessional Educational Model. Panel presentation at the meeting of the NAEA, San Diego, CA.
- Sampson, E., VanderWielen, L.M., McKay, S.W, & Lovell, C. (2014, March). The Art of Interprofessional Collaboration. Panel presentation at the 2nd Annual Jewell and Carl Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium. Richmond, VA
- Walter, J.M., McKay, S.W., Lindner, S., & Lovell, C. (2013, September). The Art of Nursing: An IPE Model to Enhance Clinical Reasoning in Students. Panel presentation at the NLN Education Summit, Washington, DC.
- Walter, J.M., McKay, S.W., Lindner, S., & Lovell, C. (2012, November). The Art of Nursing: Designing a Model of Interprofessional Education Leading to Enhanced Observation and Clinical Reasoning Skills in Nursing Students. Panel presentation at the AACN 2012 Baccalaureate Education Conference, San Antonio, TX.
- Lovell, C. (2012, September). Global Feast or Famine: How Obesity and Malnutrition Impact Women’s Health. Panel presentation at The Maya Angelou International Women’s Health Summit: Women’s Health: A Global Priority, Winston Salem, NC.
- Lovell, C. (2012, March). Low Fidelity Simulation to Increase Safety of Medication Administration Among Entry Level Nursing Students. Panel presentation at Drexel University: Simulation in Healthcare: Where No One Has Gone Before, Ft. Lauderdale,FL.
SELECTED POSTER PRESENTATIONS
- Lovell, C., Aliev, F., Kendler, K., Dick, D., Adkins, A. (2017). A Genome-Wide Association Study to Investigate Shared Genetic Variation for Binge Eating and Binge Drinking in College Students. Poster presentation at the 38th Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine, March 29-April 1, 2017, San Diego, California.
- Lovell, C, Svikis, D, Kendler, K., Dick, D., Thacker, L., Aliev, F., & Adkins, A. (2016). Gender Comparison of Parental Problem Drinking History with Binge Eating and Binge Drinking Behavior Among College Age Youth. Poster presentation at the 12th Annual Women’sHealth Research Day, VCU Institute of Women’s Health, Richmond, VA.
- Lovell, C, Magwood, G, Kendler, K, Dick, D, Thacker, L, Aliev, F, Adkins, A. (2016). Associations of Maternal and Paternal Problem Drinking with Binge Eating and Binge Drinking Behaviors Among College Youth. Poster presentation at the 30th Annual Conference of the Southern Nursing Research Society, Williamsburg, VA.
- Lovell, C, Svikis, D, Dillon, P, Dick, D, Kendler, K. (2015). Caffeine, Alcohol Use, and Disordered Eating Behavior in Male and Female College Students. Poster presentation at the 11th Annual Women’s Health Research Day, VCU Institute of Women’s Health, Richmond, VA.
- Lovell, C (2015). A Social Ecological Model of Interventions Related to the Stress/Obesity Response. Poster Presentation at the 29th Annual Conference of the Southern Nursing Research Society, Tampa, FL.
- Lovell, C, Lindner, S, Walter, JM, White, J, Hertel, M, McKay, SW. (2013). The Art of Nursing: A Collaborative Interprofessional Education Project Between Art Education and Nursing. Poster presentation at the Emswiller IPE Conference, Richmond, VA.
- Lovell, C, Lindner, S. (2012). Cultivating Communication: Using SBAR in an Undergraduate Nursing Clinical. Poster presentation at the Villanova 39th Annual National Conference in Professional Nursing Education and Development: Nurse Educators: On a Journey of Excellence, Philadelphia, PA.
- Lovell, C. (2012). The Current Practice of the Nurse Practitioner in Combating Obesity in America. Poster presentation at the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners Annual Conference, Hot Springs, VA.