Dana Burns, DNP, FNP- BCClinical Assistant Professor
Department of Family and Community Health Nursing
1100 East Leigh Street
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I am passionate about working with our students in the Family Nurse Practitioner program. My teaching spans the graduate curriculum: Foundational Perspectives of Family-Centered Care, Diagnosis and Management in Family Practice I & II, Family Primary Care Practicum I &II, and Primary Care of Select Populations. As a practicing FNP and clinical faculty, I strive to create an exciting, engaging, innovative learning environment in the classroom and clinical settings.
My research and expertise is in resilience and mindfulness in the clinical and academic environments. I am investigating the impact of mindfulness practices on resilience in an effort to improve student success, patient outcomes, and clinician well-being. My scholarly background in Caring Science provides a theoretical foundation for my research focus and clinical work.
I am an active member of the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners Richmond Region (VCNP), Sigma Theta Tau (Counsellor for the Gamma Omega Chapter), and volunteer as a FNP at The Center for Healthy Hearts providing primary care for Richmond’s vulnerable uninsured population.
- BSN- University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI
- MSN - Columbia University, NY, NY
- Post Master FNP- Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
- DNP - Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
- Donna Campanella Distinguished Nurse Practitioner Award 2020
- VCU Annual Excellence in Interprofessionalism Award 2020
- Sigma Theta Tau 2019 Excellence in Nursing Practice Award
- Clinical Teaching Facilitator/Medical Clinical Trainer- Stanford University 2019
- Connecting Healthy Hearts Principal Investigator VCU Service-Learning Grant $2,431.00, 2020-2021
- Burns, D. (2017-2018). UVA Health Blog-- Primary Care Contributor
- Nye, C. & Burns, D. (2020, September). Capitalizing on Caring. Presentation at Sigma Theta Tau/Virginia Nursing Association Annual Event. October 26
- Burns, D. (2020, September). Vaccines the Basics and 2020 Update. Presentation at the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners Richmond Pharmacology Symposium. September 26.
Burns, D. (2020, September). Building Resilience and Cultivating Caring in Everyday Practice. Poster Presentation at the American Association of Nurse Practitioners AANPConnect: An Online Conference Experience. September-December. https://www.aanp.org/events/aanpconnect
- Nye,C., Lockeman, K. Burns, D. & Lewis, M. (2020, April). Evaluating Outcomes of an Interprofessional Health Assessment Simulation Integrating Nurse Practitioners, Dental Health and Social Work, Poster presentation at the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties 46th Annual Conference, April 22-26. https://event.crowdcompass.com/nonpf46virtual
- Burns, D. (2020, March). Nurse Heal ThySelf: Building Resilience and Cultivating Caring in Everyday Practice, Podium presentation at the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners Annual Conference, Norfolk, Virginia. March 4-7.
- George-Gay, B., Burns, D. & Sisson, E. (2020, February). An Innovative NP-Pharmacy-Behavioral Health Interprofessional Practice and Educational Model to Enhance the Comprehensive Management of Adult Patients in a Community-Based Free Clinic,. Podium Presentation at the Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium, Glen Allen, VA, February 29.https://vcu.cloud-cme.com/default.aspx?P=5&EID=14539
- Burns, D. (2020, February). Building Resilience: Mindfulness and Caring for Clinicians. Invited Presentation at the VCU School of Medicine, Learning Seminar Series. Richmond, VA, February 4.
- Burns, D. (2018) Leveraging the Agile Construct to Innovate Interprofessional Education. Emswiller Symposium, Richmond, Virginia.
- Burns, D. (2015-2018). Healthy Diet and Healthy Living, UVA Lake Monticello Primary Care