Dana Burns, DNP, FNP- BCClinical Assistant Professor
Department of Family and Community Health Nursing
Phone: (804) 955-9083
I am passionate about working with our students in the Family Nurse Practitioner program. My teaching spans the graduate curriculum: Foundational Perspectives of Family-Centered Care, Diagnosis and Management in Family Practice I & II, Family Primary Care Practicum I &II, and Primary Care of Select Populations. As a practicing FNP and clinical faculty, I strive to create an exciting, engaging, innovative learning environment in the classroom and clinical settings.
My research and expertise is in resilience and mindfulness in the clinical and academic environments. I am investigating the impact of mindfulness practices on resilience in an effort to improve student success, patient outcomes, and clinician well-being. My scholarly background in Caring Science provides a theoretical foundation for my research focus and clinical work.
I am an active member of the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners Richmond Region (VCNP), Sigma Theta Tau (Counsellor for the Gamma Omega Chapter), and volunteer as a FNP at The Center for Healthy Hearts providing primary care for Richmond’s vulnerable uninsured population.
- BSN- University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI
- MSN - Columbia University, NY, NY
- Post Master FNP- Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
- DNP - Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
- Sigma Theta Tau 2019 Excellence in Nursing Practice Award
- Clinical Teaching Facilitator/Medical Clinical Trainer- Stanford University 2019
- Burns, D. (2017-2018). UVA Health Blog-- Primary Care Contributor
- Rew, L., Tyler, D., Fredland, N. & Hannah, D. (2012). Adolescents’ Concerns as They Transition through High School. Advances in Nursing Science, 35(3), 205-221.
- Rew, L., Connor, P., & Hannah, D. (2012). Changes in Stress and Coping During Late Childhood and Preadolescence. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing, 25, 130-140.
- Burns, D. (2018) Leveraging the Agile Construct to Innovate Interprofessional Education. Emswiller Symposium, Richmond, Virginia.
- Burns, D. (2015-2018). Healthy Diet and Healthy Living, UVA Lake Monticello Primary Care
- Hannah, D. (2017). Keeping our Families Healthy and Happy, UVA Primary Care
- Hannah, D. (2010). The Caring Families Program, American Holistic Nurses Association National Conference, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Hannah, D. (2010). The Caring Families Program, Florida Nursing Research Consortium, Miami, Florida