Jane Chung, Ph.D., RNAssistant Professor
Department of Family and Community Health Nursing
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3069
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I teach at the VCU School of Nursing in the master’s and DNP programs. The major areas of my teaching focus on health informatics and patient-centered technologies.
My program of research is directed toward applying and evaluating technology applications, including sensors and emerging technologies, to detect early mobility changes that may indicate functional deterioration and to promote healthy aging in older adults. I also continue to work on advancing the science by exploring older adults’ acceptability of novel sensor technologies in a sociocultural context. My ultimate goal is to develop a new model of independent living based on innovative sensors and related applications to enable older people to age in place through the end of life, maximizing independence and function.
I am a member of the Gerontological Society of America, Sigma Theta Tau, and American Medical Informatics Association.
- PhD – University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- MS – University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- MSN – Yonsei University, Korea
- BSN – Yonsei University, Korea
- Affiliated Scholar, The Langston Center for Innvation in Quality and Safety, VCU School of Nursing, 2019
- Geriatric Nursing Research Award for a New Researcher, Western Institute of Nursing, 2017
- Dissertation Award in Nursing Science, University of Washington School of Nursing, 2015
- 2020-2022 Role: PI, Voice2Connect: Informing the design of smart speakers for social connectedness in low-income older adults (R03), National Institute on Aging (Award #: 1R03AG069816). Status: in progress ($155,250)
- 2020 - 2020 Role: Co-I, Older Adults’ Lived Experiences During the Covid-19 Pandemic, COVID-19 Rapid Research Grant, VCU. PI: Parsons. ($20,000)
- 2020 – 2012, Principal Investigator: Out-of-home mobility assessment in dementia patients/caregiver dyads, Virginia Commonwealth University (UL1TR002649)
- 2017 – 2019, Principal Investigator: Sensor-based mobility assessment of older Latinos with dementia, Latino Aging Research Resource Center, University of California at Davis, supported by the National Institute on Aging of the National Institutes of Health (P30AG043097)
- 2017, Principal Investigator: Health information seeking behaviors among dementia caregivers, University of New Mexico College of Nursing (Dean’s research support)
- 2016 – 2017, Principal Investigator: Feasibility of mHealth technology for measuring life-space mobility among older adults, University of New Mexico Clinical and Translational Science Center (1UL1TR001449)
- Sargent, L., Slattum, P., Brooks, M., Gendron, T., Mackiewicz, M., Diallo, A., Waters, L., Winship, J., Battle, K., Ford, G., Falls, K., Chung, J., Zanjani, F., Pretzer-Aboff, I., Price, E. T., Prom-Worley, E., & Parsons, P. (in press). Bringing transdisciplinary aging research from theory to practice. The Gerontologist. [R]
- Chung, J., Sargent, L., Brown, R., Gendron, T., & Wheeler, D. (in press). GPS tracking technologies to measure mobility-related behaviors in community-dwelling older adults: A systematic review. Journal of Applied Gerontology. [R]
- Winship, J. M., Falls, K., Gregory, M., Peron, E. P., Donohoe, K. L., Sargent, L., Slattum, P., Chung, J., Tyler, C., Diallo, A., Battle, K., & Parsons, P. (2020). A case study in rapid adaptation of interprofessional education and remote visits during COVID-19. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 34(5), 702-705. doi: 10.1080/13561820.2020.1807921 [R] PMID: 32838597
- Chung, J., Lee, J., & Elswick, R. (2020). Life-space mobility in dementia patients and family caregivers: A dyadic approach. International Journal of Older People Nursing, 15(4), e12341. DOI: 10.1111/opn.12341. [R][D] PMID: 32798303
- Reeder, B., Chung, J., Lyden, K., Winters, J., & Jankowski, K. (2020). Older adult women’s perceptions of wearable and smart home activity sensors. Informatics for Health and Social Care, 45(1), 96-109.
- Lee, J., Carvallo, M., Lee, E., Chung, J., & Shin, C. (2019). Affective and cognitive attitudes on cervical health behaviors among Asian American women. Family and Community Health, 42(2), 123-132. Doi: 10.1097/FCH.0000000000000216 PMID: 30768477
- Lee, T. W., Yim, E. S., Choi, H. S., & Chung, J. (2019). Day care vs. home care: Effects on functional health outcomes among long-term care beneficiaries with dementia in Korea. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 34, 97-105. doi: 10.1002/gps.4992. [R][D] PMID: 30246886
- Chung, J., Seo, J. Y., & Lee, J. (2018). Using the socioecological model to explore factors affecting health care access and utilization among older Korean immigrants. International Journal of Older People Nursing, 13(2), 1-12. doi: 10.1111/opn.12179. [R][D] PMID: 29083091
- Chung, J., & Flores-Montoya, A. (2018). Correlates and predictors of mobility limitation in community-dwelling Hispanic older adults in the United States: A systematic review. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. doi: 10.1007/s10903-017-0587-3. PMID: 28424998
- Chung, J., Ozkaynak, M., & Demiris, G. (2017). Examining daily activity routines of older adults using workflow. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 71, 82-90. doi: 10.1016/j.jbi.2017.05.010. PMID: 28529189
- Chung, J., Demiris, G., Thompson, H., Chen, K-Y., Burr, R., Patel, S., Fogarty, J. (2017). Feasibility testing of a home-based sensor system in Korean American older adults. International Journal of Older People Nursing, 12(1). doi: 10.1111/opn.12127. PMID: 27431567
- Chung, J., Thompson, H., Joe, J., Hall, A., Demiris, G. (2017). Examining Korean and Korean American older adults’ perceived acceptability of home-based monitoring technologies in the context of culture. Informatics for Health and Social Care, 42(1), 61-76. PMID: 27100664
- Joe, J., Chaudhuri, S., Chung, J., Thompson, H., Demiris, G. (2016). Older adults’ attitudes and preferences regarding a multifunctional wellness tool: A pilot study. Informatics for Health and Social Care, 41(2), 143-158. doi: 10.3109/17538157.2014.965305. PMID: 25325513
- Chung, J., Thompson, H., Demiris, G. (2016). Ethical considerations regarding the use of smart home technologies for older adults: An integrative review. Annual Review of Nursing Research, 34. doi: 10.1891/0739-6686.34.155. PMID: 26673381
- Chung, J., Chaudhuri, S., Le, T., Chi, N., Thompson, H., Demiris, G. (2015). The use of think-aloud to evaluate a navigation structure for a multimedia health and wellness application for older adults and their caregivers. Educational Gerontology, 41(12), 916-929
- Chung, J., Demiris, G., Thompson, H. (2015). Instruments to assess mobility limitation in community - dwelling older adults: a systematic review. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 23(2), 298-313. doi: 10.1123/japa.2013-0181. PMID: 24589525
- Chung, J., Sargent, L., & Brown, R. (2020, November 4-7). Use of GPS tracking technology to measure mobility in older adults: A systematic review [Poster Session]. The Gerontological Society of America’s 72nd Annual Scientific Meeting, United States [Online]
- Chung, J., & Myers, O. Using GPS-based wearable sensors to capture life-space mobility among community-dwelling older adults. Oral presentation at the Gerontological Society of America’s 71st Annual Scientific Meeting, Austin, TX, USA (November 14, 2019).
- Chung, J., Brakey, H. R., & Reeder, B. Attitudes and perceptions of older adults for smart watch for health and activity tracking. Poster presentation at the 2019 Conference of the American Nursing Informatics Association, Las Vegas, NV (April 11-13, 2019).
- Chung, J., Lee, T. W., Yim, E. S., & Choi, H. S. Behavioral symptoms of older adults with dementia: Comparison of day care and home care services. Poster presentation at the Gerontological Society of America’s 70th Annual Scientific Meeting, Boston, MA, USA (November 14, 2018)
- Chung, J. (April 18, 2018). Use of GPS-based sensor technology to monitor mobility among older Latinos with dementia. Breakout Sessions Presentation, NIA Resource Centers for Minority Aging Research Annual Scholars Meeting, Bethesda, MD
- Chung, J., Mustafa, O., & Demiris, G. The use of workflow analysis to characterize patterns of older adults’ daily activities. Poster presentation at the International Association of Geriatrics and Gerontology the 21th World Congress, San Francisco, CA, USA (July, 2017)
- Chung, J., Lee, T. W., Yim, E. S., & Choi, H. S. Comparison of physical function in day care and home care settings among older adults with dementia. Poster presentation at the International Association of Geriatrics and Gerontology the 21th World Congress, San Francisco, CA, USA (July, 2017)
- Chung, J., Demiris, G., & Thompson, H. J. Obtrusiveness of a smart home application as perceived by Korean American older adults. Podium Presentation at the Gerontological Society of America Annual Conference, Orlando FL, USA (November, 2015)
- Chung, J. & Demiris, G. Feasibility trial of a home-based sensor system for activity monitoring in Korean American older adults. Advancing Science, Improving Lives: NINR's 30th Anniversary Scientific Symposium, Washington DC, USA (October 13, 2015)