Ethlyn McQueen-Gibson, DNP, M.S.N., RN-BCClinical Assistant Professor
Department of Family & Community Health Nursing
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3099
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
My primary role allows me to serve as a nursing faculty in the VCU Institute of Inclusion, Inquiry & Innovation (ICubed). The mission of ICubed is “eradicating silos by creating collaborations focused on the welfare of urban populations. My role is part of the core with a focus on health and wellness in aging populations. The Health and Wellness in Aging Populations Transdisciplinary Core addresses problems of older and disabled adults “aging in place” within low-income senior housing apartment buildings and surrounding neighborhoods in urban Richmond, Virginia. In addition, I serve in the role of clinical faculty for Community Health Nursing (NURS 416) to accelerated and traditional baccalaureate nursing students as they complete their community-based rotations through Richmond’s Southside community.
My clinical research focuses on custodial African-American grandmothers, between the ages of 45-65 years old, living in an urban setting. In addition, studying the effects of full-time custodial caregiving on their physical, social and emotional well-being. Current research has concluded that gender, martial status, race, caregiving status, education and income levels are contributing factors placing them at risk for poor health outcomes. My study participants were identified as being at risk for higher rates of chronic disease, under insured, not eligible for Medicaid or Medicare, with inadequate access to health care resources.
The goal of my clinical DNP project brought together community stakeholders to introduce and confirm the value of implementing the evidenced-based program “Project Healthy Grandparents©” in a school-based clinic. The clinical project introduced community stakeholders to Project Healthy Grandparents© evidenced-based model for care, assessed community need through data collection utilizing the Brief Symptom Inventory© and Parenting Stress Scale© tools. The McCubbin Resiliency Model of Family Stress, Adjustment and Adaptation© is a conceptual framework that supports developing community-based interventions. Next steps will include development of the pilot that will introduce an advanced practice nurse in the school-based clinic for limited case management for custodial grandmothers.
I am a member of the American Nurses Association, National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists, American Geriatric Society, Southern Gerontological Society, Southern Nurses Research Society, Sigma Theta Tau International and National Black Nurses Association. I serve as a member of the Commonwealth of Virginia Board of Nursing.
- B.S. Ursuline College, Cleveland, OH
- M.S. Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA
Nursing, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Adult Health
- D.N.P. – Ursuline College, Cleveland, OH
- VCU Council for Community Engagement – Currents of Change Award “Exemplary University Community Partnership in Research” 2018
- Leadership Excellence in Patient Safety (Virginia Nurses Foundation) 2016
- Distinguished Nursing Alumnae – Ursuline College (Cleveland, OH) 2009
- Leilee P. Ault Clinical Excellence Award for Graduate Studies at the medical College of Georgia (Augusta, GA) 1997
- The Healthy Meal Program. 9/2017-9/2018. Co-Investigator. The Jenkins Foundation. Total Direct costs awarded for the study - $30,000. Pamela Parsons, PhD, principal investigator.
- The East End Planning Coalition for Older Adults. 1/2018-1/2019. Research Team Member. Richmond Memorial Health Foundation. Total direct costs awarded for study - $250,000. Pamela Parsons, PhD, Principal Investigator.
- The Richmond Health & Wellness Program of Care for Community-Based Older Adults. (Letter of Intent accepted April, 2018); 11 chosen out of 230 submissions for final consideration. Co-Investigator. Rita and Alex Hillman Foundation. Total direct costs to be awarded for final selection - $600,000. Pamela Parsons, PhD, Principal Investigator.
- Tingen, M., Gramling, L., Bennett, G., Gibson, E., & Renew, M. (1997). A pilot of preadolescents using focus groups to evaluate appeal of a video-based smoking prevention strategy. Journal of Addictions Nursing (Taylor & Francis Ltd, 9(3), 118-124.
- Gibson, E. & Tingen, M. (1998). Nursing care for diabetic patients with alcohol-induced hypoglycemia. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 24(2), 165-168.
- McQueen-Gibson, E. (May, 2018). The Role of Inter-Professional Teams in Addressing Dementia. Podium presentation for 2018 Annual Dementia Conference at Norfolk State University. (Norfolk, VA)
- McQueen-Gibson, E.(April, 2018). Developing Pilot for Custodial African-American Grandmothers Caring for Grandchildren in Southeast Virginia. Podium presentation for 2018 Joint Conference for Southern Gerontological Society & Georgia Gerontological Society. “Moving Forward Together: Linking Research, Policy, and Practice.” (Lake Lanier, GA)
- PW Slattum; PL Parsons; AW Dow; G Ford; TL Gendron; MZ Gough; E McQueen-Gibson; KC Ogbonna; KB Patel; ET Price; EC Prom-Wormley; LJ Sargent; FA Zanjani (April 2018). Building the Health and Wellness in Aging Populations Core: Cluster Hiring. Poster presentation at 11th Health Disparities Conference: Center for Minority Health & Health Disparities Research & Education, Xavier University of Louisiana, School of Pharmacy. (New Orleans, LA).
- McQueen-Gibson, E.(February, 2018). DNP Led Community-Based Intervention for Custodial African-American Grandmothers in the School-Based Clinic. Podium presentation Sixth Annual Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium (Glen Allen, VA).
- McQueen-Gibson, E. (October, 2017). DNP Led Community-Based Intervention for Custodial African-American Grandmothers. Poster presentation 27th Annual Meeting of Ohio Association of Advanced Practice Nurses (Columbus, OH).
- McQueen-Gibson, E. (September, 2017). DNP Led Community-Based Intervention in the School Clinic for Custodial African-American Custodial grandmothers. Podium and poster presentation at Annual Meeting of the National Doctors in Nursing Practice (New Orleans, LA).
- McQueen-Gibson, E. (April, 2017). Supporting the Health of Custodial African-American grandmothers: Community-Based Intervention in the School Clinic. Podium and poster presentation at Virginia Governors Conference on Aging (Roanoke, VA).
- McQueen-Gibson, E. (April, 2017). Supporting the Health of Custodial African-American grandmothers: Community-Based Intervention in the School Clinic. Podium and poster presentation at Annual Meeting of the Southern Gerontological Society (Asheville, NC).
- McQueen-Gibson, E. & Dolbin-MacNab, M. (January, 2017). Strategies for Custodial Grandmothers in the Commonwealth: An Urban and Rural Perspective. Podium presentation for the Virginia Caregivers Coalition (Richmond, VA)
- McQueen-Gibson, E. (May 2016). Developing Project Healthy Grandparents© in Virginia: African-American Grandmothers Raising Grandchildren. Poster presentation at the Virginia Governors Conference on Aging (Richmond, VA).