Message from Dean Jean Giddens on the school's actions to prevent the spread of COVID-19
Dear VCU School of Nursing family,
We’re pleased to see our phased-in return to campus is progressing well. Currently, there are small groups of students completing their clinical experiences, faculty continuing their research work and limited staff supporting both of these activities in our building.
Our Return to Learn Team continues to meet regularly to plan our return to campus this fall. The team has made every effort to implement social distancing measures and provide a safe environment for everyone. But we can’t do this alone. Each of us has a role and responsibility to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Below are important measures we all must follow to keep each other safe.
• Each person who returns to campus will receive safety kits that include cloth face coverings, hand sanitizer, disinfectant spray and safety information.
• Distribution of the kits will be ongoing based on the phased-in return to campus.
Employee/student responsibilities in the School of Nursing Building:
● Complete the daily health check survey online at dailyhealth.vcu.edu.
● Temperatures will be obtained in the First Floor Lobby for everyone upon entering the building.
● Wear a face covering or mask at all times. Masks do not have to be worn if you are in your personal office with the door closed.
● Maintain social distancing (6 ft; 36 sq. ft) between individuals, including in the hallways, stairways and elevators (no more than two people in an elevator).
● Follow directional signage in the hallways and for entering and exiting the CLC and other rooms in the building.
● Continue to practice physical distancing and regular hand washing.
● Each person is responsible for wiping down their personal workspace with sanitizing spray at the start and end of their work day.
● Limit personal items taken into the building.
● Follow specific CLC safety guidelines for classes in that area of the building.
Additional SON safety measures
• We have organized students into smaller class sizes and reconfigured classrooms to ensure adequate space for social distancing.
• Plexiglass barriers have been installed at the reception desk in the First Floor Lobby and at the reception desk in the Office of Student Success.
• Surfaces in the building will be disinfected frequently, especially high-touch areas.
• Sanitation dispensers have been placed throughout the building.
• We’re all in this together so we must hold each other accountable.
• If you observe someone not following our safety measures, please inform your instructor or supervisor immediately.
Thank you for doing your part to help keep everyone safe.
Dean and Professor
*Visit the together.vcu.edu website for regular updates on the university's return to campus plans.