IMPORTANT DATES: Fall 2017
November 15, 2016
March 15, 2017
Admission decision notification:
May 15, 2017
August 23, 2017
August 24, 2017
Before you begin the application process, please review to be sure you understand the following items and carefully read the instructions to apply:
- Admission requirements
- MS student handbook - Technical Standards and Criminal Background Check and Drug Screen
- Sample plans of study
- On-campus dates - Nursing Administration & Leadership only
The Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing participates in Nursing's Centralized Application Service (NursingCAS), which provides you with an online application. NursingCAS collects and processes your application materials. We receive this information from NursingCAS and use it to make our admission decisions.
In addition to the NursingCAS application, VCU requires applicants to submit a VCU supplemental information application. Instructions for how to submit the VCU supplemental information application are found on the VCU NursingCAS home page. Application fees are required for both the NursingCAS and VCU supplemental information applications. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required documents have been received by NursingCAS and the VCU supplemental information application submitted by March 15, 2017.
To find the VCU School of Nursing’s Master’s NursingCAS application, in the Select the Programs to Which You Want to Apply section, for ‘Delivery’ method, select ‘On Campus’ for the nurse practitioner concentrations or ‘Online’ for the Nursing Administration & Leadership concentration, and then search for ‘Virginia Commonwealth University, under ‘School’. We recommend that you complete the required NursingCAS fields and submit your application well before the deadline. It can take several weeks for NursingCAS to receive and verify your transcripts.
Please review the required fields below that you need to complete before you can submit an application (the titles will match the NursingCAS portal page):
PERSONAL INFORMATION (do not provide your social security number)
Enter all colleges and universities attended. You will be prompted to download a Transcript Request Form for each school attended and mail to your prior colleges. Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, including course work taken as high school dual-enrollment credit, nondegree-seeking credit, study abroad, or course work taken and transferred to another institution are required. Applicants who have studied outside of the U.S. must also provide a course-by-course external credential evaluation from ECE or WES no older than two years at the time of application.
- Name of award/honor
- Name of presenting organization
- Issued date
- Description of award/honor
- Employment – Non-nursing experience only (paid)
- Patient/Healthcare Experience – Nursing experience only (paid)
- Community Enrichment – Community and/or volunteer experience (unpaid)
Licensure and Certifications
- Registered Nurse – Complete all sections (You will upload a copy of your unrestricted, unexpired RN license in the ‘Program Materials’ section)
- Complete this section for all professional certifications you hold.
PROGRAM MATERIALS: Documents
You will upload the following documents:
The VCU School of Nursing prides itself in a rigorous curriculum that produces a master’s-prepared nurse for a challenging and rewarding profession in healthcare. We value the life experiences of our applicants as well as the ability of our students to communicate effectively. Successful students will be motivated, diligent and passionate about their career choice. The following questions are mandatory and will be evaluated based on organization, content and style. Respond to the following questions in a professional manner:
Limit your response to four (4) pages total, double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font.
- What are your career goals, and how do you see the master’s program contributing to meeting them? Describe your particular interest in the program concentration to which you are applying.
- How do your past experiences and professional accomplishments inform your ability to succeed in this program and as an advanced practice nurse?
- Describe how you will enhance the health and quality of life for people of all cultures, socio-economic levels, and geographic locations through practice and leadership.
- Describe how you intend to manage your current and future obligations while completing requirements for the MS degree.
Test score report - TOEFL/IELTS score report - Required only of international and non-native English-speaking students without a U.S. degree. Refer to the Master’s admission requirements for details.
License - A copy of your unrestricted, unexpired RN license. This may be a screen shot from the Board of Nursing's website.
PROGRAM MATERIALS: References
When considering references, provide the names and contact information for three academic and/or professional references who can knowledgeably comment on your ability to succeed in a graduate program. Your professional references should not be from any personal relationships (i.e., family, friends, neighbors, co-workers), even if the relationship can be tied to an academic or professional setting. An academic reference is a current or former faculty member or academic advisor. A professional reference is a current/former supervisor of a paid or volunteer position.
Your references will receive an email message from NursingCAS that directs them to an online recommendation form. Notify your references in advance so they can look for the email from NursingCAS since the message can sometimes end up a Junk Mail folder. If your reference cannot find the email, you will need to contact NursingCAS to request that they send it again.
Email is the official mode of communication with applicants. To be sure you do not miss critical information about your application, either turn off your email’s spam or junk filters or add the following email addresses to your list of preferred contacts:
- @sendgrid.me domain