Sara Headley, MSN, APRN, CPNP-PC, CNEClinical Instructor
Department of Family and Community Health Nursing
1100 East Leigh Street
Richmond, VA 23298
I have 15 years of nursing education experience all in the undergraduate level. I currently teach clinicals in the VCU Undergraduate Nursing Program for women's health and care of children and their families. I have also taught many years in the community college undergraduate curriculum including Fundamentals of Nursing, Health Assessment, Pediatric Nursing, Medical-Surgical Nursing I, Medical-Surgical Nursing II, LPN to RN Transition, Nutrition, and Medical Terminology. I also have served as Interim Nursing Program Director and led a team to initial accreditation by the Virginia Board of Nursing and a successful initial candidacy for National Program Accreditation by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). I also am a Nationally Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) certified by the NLNAC.
My areas of research interest include community health concerns such as access to health care for rural communities, care of the medically complex child, and support and guidance for families of children with rare diseases.
After a twenty-year career as a Registered Nurse, in 2021 I earned national certification as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP). I also have service experience serving as the Committee Chair for the Scholarship Committee at a local community college. Other service includes serving on the leadership team for the Northern Neck of Virginia's Remote Area Medical (RAM) team which brings free medical, dental, and vision services to rural communities in the Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula of Virginia. I am also an active member in my home community with the public school system committees and local youth sports coaching opportunities. For the past fourteen years, I have been an active parent and health provider volunteer for the Cares Foundation, Inc. group serving families of patients with a rare endocrine disorder.
BS Nursing from Virginia Commonwealth University Medical College of Virginia 2001
MSN Nursing Education from Old Dominion University 2009
MSN Pediatric Nurse Practitioner from Old Dominion University 2021
- Faculty Professional Excellence Award from the VCCS in 2016
- Semi-Finalist for Virginia Community College System’s Excellence in Education Award for Technology Use in the Classroom for Kindle use for bedside documentation in nursing presentation in Spring 2015
- Panel Participant for Virginia Community College System’s New Horizons Conference entitled Integrating Pediatrics Across the Lifespan in a Concept-Based Curriculum in Spring 2019.
- Presentation on Concept-based Nursing Resources and Lesson Plans at the Virginia Community College System’s New Horizons Conference Spring 2018.
- Presentation on ACEN Journey to Success at the Virginia Community College System’s New Horizons Conference Spring 2015 and VCCS Health Sciences Peer Group Conference Fall 2014.
- Presentation on Kindle use for bedside documentation in nursing at the Virginia Community College System’s New Horizons Conference in Roanoke, VA Spring 2014
- Presentation on Kindle use for bedside documentation in nursing at the Virginia Community College System’s Allied Health Peer Group Conference in Roanoke, VA Fall 2013
- Presentation on Panopto Use in Nursing Education at the Virginia Community College System’s New Horizons Conference in Roanoke, VA Spring 2011