The VCU School of Nursing has a long and proud history.

Tracing Our Legacy

The School of Nursing's evolution includes eight schools that date back as far as the 1890s including:

  • Virginia Hospital Training School (1893-1913)
  • Old Dominion Hospital Training School (1895-1903)
  • Memorial Hospital Training School (1903-1913)
  • Virginia City Hospital Training School (1913-1922)
  • Medical College of Virginia School of Nursing (1913-1968)
  • School of Social Work and Public Health Nursing (1917-1943) and School of Nursing, Richmond Division of the College of William and Mary (1926-1969) which were combined to become part of Richmond Professional Institute in 1939
  • St. Philip School of Nursing (1920-1962)
  • Medical College of Virginia of Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing (1968-present)


History Lives Here: The Heritage Room

The Heritage Room, located on the first floor of the VCU School of Nursing, is a mini-museum featuring historical artifacts that celebrate the rich legacy of the school. Exhibits span from the school's beginnings as the Virginia Hospital Training School, through the merger of the St. Philip School of Nursing with the MCV School of Nursing, the creation of VCU School of Nursing in 1968, and where the school stands today in our community. Vintage nursing uniforms, yearbooks, photographs and other items are displayed on a rotating basis.

This exhibition space was created by the Heritage Room Committee comprised of current and former faculty and distinguished alumni and is generously supported by an endowed fund.