- Application opens: 9/1/2017
- Application deadline: 11/15/2017
- Decision notification: 12/15/2017
- Mandatory orientation: 5/16/2018
- Classes begin: 5/21/2018
- Application opens: 5/1/2018
- Application deadline: 7/1/2018
- Decision notification: 11/15/2018
- Mandatory orientation: TBA
- Classes begin: 5/20/2019
Applying to the School of Nursing
The Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing participates in an online Nursing Centralized Application Service (NursingCAS) to receive VCU Nursing applications. NursingCAS collects and processes your application materials and verifies academic transcripts. All collected documents in NursingCAS are items of the application and reviewed to determine admission decisions.
In addition to the NursingCAS application, all applicants are required to submit a VCU supplemental information application. Instructions to submit the VCU supplemental information application are available on the VCU NursingCAS home page. Application fees apply and full payment are required at the time of submission for the NursingCAS and VCU supplemental information application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the VCU supplemental information application and all required documents are submitted and received by NursingCAS upon the application deadline.
PREPARING TO APPLY
As part of the application process, please read the following items:
- Admission requirements for the Accelerated B.S. program
- Nursing Technical Standards and Criminal Background Check & Drug Screen
Creating Your NursingCAS Application
To find the VCU School of Nursing’s 2017/2018 NursingCAS application visit www.nursingcas.org and click on the “Apply Now” button. Click on the “Select Programs to Which You Want to Apply” section, choose ‘Virginia Commonwealth University’ from the ‘School’ tab and select the VCU nursing program you wish to apply.
You are required to submit official transcripts directly to NursingCAS. Advanced planning is necessary, as it may take up to several weeks for NursingCAS to receive and verify transcripts. We recommend completing the “Colleges Attended” tab under the Academic History section in an attempt to comply with the application deadline. You may complete this section prior to submitting your NursingCAS application. Details for submitting transcripts by mail or electronically can be found on the NursingCAS transcript processing website. Program-specific details for transcripts are available in the “Your Application” section below.
Recommendations are received through NursingCAS only. To ensure your admissions application is complete by the deadline, we recommend completing the “References” section of the NursingCAS application in advance to allow ample time for references to complete and submit their letter of references. Details for submitting references via NursingCAS can be found on the NursingCAS references website. Program-specific details for acceptable references are below in the “Your Application” section.
VCU School of Nursing values diversity. Therefore, answering all questions and completing indicated sections on the applications provides a comprehensive view of an applicant and allows for a holistic review of your application.
- Race & Ethnicity
- Other Information
- Language Proficiency: Add all languages for which your proficiency level is advanced
- Military Status
- Colleges Attended: Enter all colleges and universities attended. Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, including course work taken as high school dual-enrollment credit, nondegree-seeking credit, study abroad, or course work taken and transferred to another institution are required. Applicants who have studied outside of the U.S. must also provide a course-by-course external credential evaluation from ECE or WES no older than two years at the time of application.
- Transcript Entry: Enter coursework completed or planned to complete to fulfill prerequisites
- Achievements: Enter all academic and professional honors and awards earned
- Experiences: Enter all relevant sections
- Employment: Non-nursing experience only (paid)
- Patient/Healthcare Experience: Nursing experience only (paid)
- Community Enrichment: Community and/or volunteer experience (unpaid)
- Licensure and Certification: Enter all relevant sections
- Certification: Complete this section for all professional certifications you hold
- Documents: Upload the following documents:
- Personal statement:
The VCU School of Nursing prides itself on a rigorous curriculum that produces a baccalaureate-prepared nurse for a challenging and rewarding profession in healthcare. The personal statement is an important part of the admission application because it facilitates a holistic view of your application. Secondly, the personal statement provides an opportunity to briefly and concisely present your promise as a future nursing professional, identify your personal and academic attributes, and describe experiences in which you demonstrated the ability to overcome obstacles, including any obstacles or barriers in your education. Sharing those experiences, and highlighting your qualities, supports your overall application. If one part of your academic record is not ideal, due to challenges you faced in that particular area, the personal statement section is an opportunity to explain and direct reviewers’ attention to the evidence of your promise as a nurse.
We value the life experiences of our applicants as well as the ability of our students to communicate effectively. Successful students will be motivated, diligent and passionate about their career choice. The following questions are mandatory and will be evaluated based on organization, content, style, and format.
Respond to each question separately, limiting each response to one (1) page in length, double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font, 1-inch margins. Copy the question you are answering at the top of each page and do not provide your name on any of your responses. Upload all responses to the personal statement prompts in one document to NursingCAS.
- Describe your professional goals and discuss how obtaining a baccalaureate degree in nursing will help you meet your goals. Provide one example from your past that demonstrates how your work ethic/diligence will help you achieve these goals.
- Overcoming adversities and challenges in life provides an individual the opportunity for reflection on personal growth and resilience. Describe a significant personal, academic or professional challenge you have faced and the steps you took to address this challenge. Include whether you turned to anyone in facing the challenge, the role that person played, and what you learned about yourself.
- VCU School of Nursing is committed to sustaining a tradition of educational excellence by preparing future scholars and leaders in health care. Leadership is marked by an ability to collaborate with others, and as a nurse you will be expected to work as part of a team. Describe one example of your leadership experience in which you significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to team efforts over time.
- Community can include family, school, neighborhood, volunteer or service organizations, etc. Provide a personal example of community engagement when you made a significant contribution to improve the lives of others. Describe your role, length of involvement and improvements made within the community.
- Test score report: TOEFL/IELTS score report only required of international and non-native English speaking applicants without a U.S. degree. Refer to the other information section of the overivew of the B.S. accelerated program on the VCU Bulletin website.
- References: One (1) academic reference and one (1) professional are required.
Complete all of the following steps by the application deadline:
- Submit a completed NursingCAS application, including the following items:
- Responses to all questions designated in NursingCAS as optional but indicated above as desired for VCU
- Official transcripts
- Non-refundable NursingCAS application fee ($70 graduate applications; $50 undergraduate applications)
- Submit a completed VCU supplemental information application, details of which are found on the VCU NursingCAS home page, including non-refundable $65 application fee.
COMMUNICATION ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION
Email is the official mode of communication with applicants. To ensure receipt of important information regarding your application status, turn off your email’s spam or junk filters or add the following email addresses to your list of preferred contacts: