Applying to the School of Nursing
The Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing participates in an online Nursing Centralized Application Service (NursingCAS) to receive VCU Nursing applications. NursingCAS collects and processes your application materials and verifies academic transcripts. All collected documents in NursingCAS are items of the application and reviewed to determine admission decisions.
In addition to the NursingCAS application, all applicants are required to submit a VCU supplemental information application. Instructions to submit the VCU supplemental information application are available on the VCU NursingCAS home page. Application fees apply and full payment are required at the time of submission for the NursingCAS and VCU supplemental information application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the VCU supplemental information application and all required documents are submitted and received by NursingCAS upon the application deadline.
PREPARING TO APPLY
Before beginning the application process, carefully read the listed below items to ensure you understand the application instructions:
- Admission requirements
- Student Handbook: Technical Standards and Criminal Background Check & Drug Screen policies
Creating Your NursingCAS Application
To find the VCU School of Nursing’s 2017/2018 NursingCAS application visit http://www.nursingcas.org/ and click on the “Apply Now” button. Click on the “Select Programs to Which You Want to Apply” section, choose ‘Virginia Commonwealth University’ from the ‘School’ tab and select the VCU nursing program you wish to apply.
You are required to submit official transcripts directly to NursingCAS. Advanced planning is necessary, as it may take up to several weeks for NursingCAS to receive and verify transcripts. We recommend completing the “Colleges Attended” tab under the Academic History section in an attempt to comply with the application deadline. You may complete this section prior to submitting your NursingCAS application. Details for submitting transcripts by mail or electronically can be found on the NursingCAS transcript processing website. Program-specific details for transcripts are available in the “Your Application” section below.
VCU School of Nursing values diversity. Therefore, answering all questions and completing indicated sections on the applications provides a comprehensive view of an applicant and allows for a holistic review of your application.
- Race & Ethnicity
- Other Information
- Language Proficiency: Add all languages for which your proficiency level is advanced
- Military Status
- Colleges Attended: Enter all colleges and universities attended. Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, including course work taken as high school dual-enrollment credit, nondegree-seeking credit, study abroad, or course work taken and transferred to another institution are required. Applicants who have studied outside of the U.S. must also provide a course-by-course external credential evaluation from ECE or WES no older than two years at the time of application.
- Achievements: Enter all academic and professional honors and awards earned
- Experiences: Enter all relevant sections
- Employment: Non-nursing experience only (paid)
- Patient/Healthcare Experience: Nursing experience only (paid)
- Community Enrichment: Community and/or volunteer experience (unpaid)
- Licensure and Certification: Enter all relevant sections
- Licensure: Registered Nurse (You will upload a copy of your unrestricted, unexpired RN license in the ‘Program Materials’ section)
- Certification: Complete this section for all professional certifications you hold
- Documents: Upload the following documents:
- Test score report: TOEFL/IELTS score report only required of international and non-native English speaking applicants without a U.S. degree. Refer to the admission requirements for details.
- License: A copy of your unrestricted, unexpired RN license. This may be a screenshot from the Board of Nursing’s website. If you are in the process of completing your RN program, upload a document that provides the date you anticipate becoming licensed. You must be licensed as a RN to be eligible to enroll in the VCU School of Nursing.
COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION
Complete all of the following steps by the application deadline:
- Submit a completed NursingCAS application, including the following items:
- Responses to all questions designated in NursingCAS as optional but indicated above as desired for VCU
- Official transcripts
- Non-refundable NursingCAS application fee ($70 graduate applications; $50 undergraduate applications)
- Submit a completed VCU supplemental information application, details of which are found on the VCU NursingCAS home page, including non-refundable $65 application fee.
COMMUNICATION ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION
Email is the official mode of communication with applicants. To ensure receipt of important information regarding your application status, turn off your email’s spam or junk filters or add the following email addresses to your list of preferred contacts: